Note to New Members ×

Sun Valley or Sun Peaks???

Jon Dahl

Help me decide here! I'm one hour north of Seattle. After too many weeks of grey wet weather, my Renntiger is calling my name, and I got it bad. Need snow now! So, 6-7 hours east to ride at Sun Valley, Idaho, or 4-5 hours north to B.C. and Sun Peaks? This is going to be a ghetto trip, maybe even sleep in the car! Gotta ride Sunday and work Monday, so this is as far as I can go. Or is there a better option? SES is out this year, so don't hurt my feelings by suggesting that!

John, I think the drive to SV is going to be closer to 11 hours or so. Our best time (in the car not including stops with good weather) is 10.5. Sean C could probably give you a good update on Sun Peaks as I believe he ie there right now. When are you going? SV is still holding snow pack but it has been sorta warm. Possibility of rain in the lower elev in the next couple of days. The Okanagan seems to be keeping snow too and while I have never been to SP in particular I only hear good things and the lift tickets are probably a better price for a "ghetto" trip. At least you get to ride. I have to wait till March and who knows what the snow will be like then....

We had a great trip to Schwietzer Mtn in Sandpoint, ID a few years ago. We flew into Spokane, WA and drove for about 90 minutes. Very Nice. I can't speak to Sun Peaks but SV was a BIG dissapointment. Other than the glitz and food I could not find a reason to go back. Crowded and banked runs don't make me a happy carver. Take your skiis if you go to SV.

Guest jeremiah

I know that Schweitzer was closed last week:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050122/IDOUT/501220323&SearchID=73197323780709

According to their website, they're open for limited operations rith now, but it's 37 and raining.

My parents said that Brundage was holding up fairly well, but Bogus was in really bad shape, and that resorts in Northern Idaho were really hurting. They haven't been to Sun Valley recently, so no report on that.

I would say get ready to eat back bacon and Tim Horton's. (Was going to say poutine, but that's a Quebec thing I think.)

Jeremiah

Guest jeff_sv650

I live in Seattle and I own a small condo up at Sun Peaks.

Its a great mountain for carving. I actually just keep my Coiler and hardboots up there because the thing is useless in the crowded slopes here (if they were open).

Sun Peaks has a bunch of cruisers that are perfect for carving. Most of the runs under the Sundance chair are great blue cruisers that I love to carve.

The Sunburst chair has a few steeper cruisers as well as a super-long super-wide beginner run called 5 mile that is actually a good warm up -- but please don't go too fast on that run, its a slow skiing zone and you shouldn't spook the beginners.

Fresh snow -- go up top on Crystal chair (or upper Burfield) or head over to Morrissey. Morissey usually get nicer snow and keeps it nice longer -- northern exposure. Some of the trails on Morissey have an annoying flat spot in the middle.

Warning: don't ride the burfield chair from the base. Its the slowest chair I've ever been on in my life. I think its a 20 minute ride.

Sun Peaks is a nice place, and I love it but I don't think its in the same class with Sun Valley. SV has a lot more vertical drop, a lot more lifts, costs a *lot* more, and is much more of a scene overall. SV has the most consistent (steep blue?) slope angle of any mountain I've ever been to. I actually find SV a bit steep for my carving skills -- though I do love that run called "Broadway" up on Seattle ridge... a bit less steep and I can totally rail it. I'd like to head back to Sun Valley some day.

The drive from Seattle (Greenlake) to Sun Peaks will take 5.5 hours at minimum.

Originally posted by jeff_sv650

I live in Seattle and I own a small condo up at Sun Peaks.

Its a great mountain for carving. I actually just keep my Coiler and hardboots up there because the thing is useless in the crowded slopes here (if they were open).

Sun Peaks has a bunch of cruisers that are perfect for carving. Most of the runs under the Sundance chair are great blue cruisers that I love to carve.

The Sunburst chair has a few steeper cruisers as well as a super-long super-wide beginner run called 5 mile that is actually a good warm up -- but please don't go too fast on that run, its a slow skiing zone and you shouldn't spook the beginners.

Fresh snow -- go up top on Crystal chair (or upper Burfield) or head over to Morrissey. Morissey usually get nicer snow and keeps it nice longer -- northern exposure. Some of the trails on Morissey have an annoying flat spot in the middle.

Warning: don't ride the burfield chair from the base. Its the slowest chair I've ever been on in my life. I think its a 20 minute ride.

Sun Peaks is a nice place, and I love it but I don't think its in the same class with Sun Valley. SV has a lot more vertical drop, a lot more lifts, costs a *lot* more, and is much more of a scene overall. SV has the most consistent (steep blue?) slope angle of any mountain I've ever been to. I actually find SV a bit steep for my carving skills -- though I do love that run called "Broadway" up on Seattle ridge... a bit less steep and I can totally rail it. I'd like to head back to Sun Valley some day.

The drive from Seattle (Greenlake) to Sun Peaks will take 5.5 hours at minimum.

Pretty much agree with what Jeff had to say. I would start out on Sunburst lift & hit 5 mile for a lap or two. Next would be under Sundance- final pitch has some pretty awesome super fast rollers. Next I would do Crystal and come down frontside. Morrisey is has some flat spots in it but holds up well as it is less ridden as well as colder. Jeff- where is your place? I have a townhouse in Snow Creek Village- got to hook up for some turns some time.

Guest jeff_sv650

Yup, as in Suzuki SV650.

I race a 2000 SV650 with WMRRA at Pacific Raceways and Spokane Raceway Park. If you come out to the racetrack this season I'm #191.

I've also got a second SV650 that is sometimes used on the street, and sometimes poached for parts for the racebike.

And I just got a Ducati Monster 1000S a few months ago as my new streetbike. I got fed up with not having a working streetbike due to the street SV being poached for parts... So I got the monster...

Jeff