Note to New Members ×

Mammoth Conditions?

Randy T.

Can anyone tell me current snow conditions at Mammoth? I'm mostly interested in knowing how the coverage is to determine which boards to ride. But I'd also be interested in knowing ant specific runs to carve or or to avoid.

We're pretty thin in Tahoe and I'm still using my rock board.

Thanks,

Randy

It's pretty much all great for carving on a 170ish freecarve board. I rode an old 185 WCR every day when I lived out there. Lots of wide steep stuff. The runs off the top are groomed and rock on a slalom board in the morning as long as you're okay destroying your pants if you fall.

The runs off chairs 1, 2, and 9 get hairy and crowded pretty fast, but 12 and 13 have some awesome glades and groomers. I found at Mammoth I never really did laps like I do at other resorts, I think its a great mountain for exploring and getting lost.

Be careful on Terrys Run, there's a nasty roller that broke my leg :P

Edited by KingCrimson

Coverage is pretty good by main.  It is mostly safe to bring out your good gear as long as you stay on the groom on that side of the mountain.  However you'll start to see some rock floaters heading even slightly towards Canyon, in the Roller Coaster area.  Upper 5 is alright.  Stay away from Eagle.

Condition report from 1/9 to 1/11:

Floating rocks off Lower SOlitude. Cornice bowl has rocks and floaters too.  Dave's Run was surprisingly good and soft, untill you meet up with Lower Solitude, then there are rocks on skiers right.  Skiers left seemed to have less rocks.

Stump Alley on Skiers left under the chair was awesome in the AM, then you need to transfer over to Mambo and Escape in the PM.

Broadway has great coverage but it is crowded.  The race courses to skiers left under Chair 1 are empty around 2PM so look to those for some steep carving with little to no traffic.

Pretty much you can Freecarve the whole day if you choose the runs.

Saddle Bowl and Stump alley in the AM

Stump Alley to Mambo/St Moritz to Mambo/Phantom's Escape in the late AM to PM

Race courses in the PM.