Note to New Members ×

Catek FR2 Upgrades

Atom Ant

Hey all,

I have a pair of Catek FR2 Pros (I think they are the pros, at least).  This is with the standard highback and straps, which I hate.  While softboot bindings have sort of gone in the opposite direction of being carve enabled, straps and highbacks have certainly come a long way since Catek first introduced the FR2s.  I think the bindings would be great if the straps and highback could be swapped out with something modern-- a stiffer (and larger) highback, and straps that mold around a boot better (perhaps a toe cap).  

I am wondering if anyone else has managed to franken-binding these things-- adding some other brands straps and highback to make a mix and match softboot binding perfect for carving.  If you have, would you be willing to describe what you did / post pictures?  

Thanks all.

Ant, post photos of your bindings please.  

If the are the Pros , they would have the Nidecker straps from the 900 I believe. 

I do have some FR1 that have been modded.   I can post a photo of them in a bit.   Another BOL member worked them over and did a nice job. 

Bryan 

Glad to see  you found a pair!

I bought a pair of FR2s from the only other respondent on this thread (thanks Bryan!). Only half a day on them but they feel nice. I took the bindings down to the chassis and built them back up with Ride straps and highbacks from a pair of El Hefe's. The fit is near perfect, even the fiddly little screws. I had to do some plastic part mods with the Dremel, but could have made it work without. I'll try to post some pictures. I have to say, I'm really pleased with the outcome. Those stock grey plastic highbacks look like something off an old Black Snow! Now, if I'd had the model with the carbon highbacks, that might have been a different story...

• Like 1

Thanks guys, it seems like they have been modded before.  Any pictures / walk-through write-ups would be great, and probably of use to other people aside from me.  

Bryan - I definitely do not have the pros, they must be regular ol' FR2s.  Standard straps and high backs.  Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Hmmmm...tried to upload some pictures but the app complained they were too big? Basically I pulled off what I believe we're the Nidecker straps. They're burly but seemed a bit unforgiving. The toe strap may be used as a cap, but it doesn't inspire confidence in that configuration. The Ride toe straps are grippy and low profile, but not the ruggedest things I've come across. The ankle straps are plush but responsive.

I had to fashion some plastic washers to fit the toe straps flush to the Catek extenders. I also trimmed the hard plastic combo washer that sits outside the Ride highback/ankle strap screws so the edges would not extend outside the heel loop. Probably could have run without these, but I had a spare set and they fit like a charm. The nice thing about the Ride highbacks vs the Catek plastic jobbies is that they sit flush in the heel loop. The lower edge of the Catek highbacks push your heels forward about an inch. Pretty bad design. Plus the Ride's are way stiffer. Again, if I had the Nidecker Carbon highbacks, I would've kept them. All In, I'd buy another set of FR2s and make the same mods with another pair of El Hefes currently in service. Though the El Hefes are nothing to sneeze at and come stock (now) with carbon highbacks. Also I was able to find stainless replacement hardware for the Cateks at the local hardware store or through a supply house, except for some admittedly critical parts. I pray those don't fail!

If I can solve the size issue with the pictures, I'll load some more.

post-5667-0-46968600-1418760525_thumb.jp

Yeesh, I'll be honest I don't think I'm willing to put that much work into this, not to mention I am not 100% confident this is a project that is in my wheel house to begin with.  Thanks very much for the talk through and pictures though, very much appreciate it.  

I might have to put them up for sale, I am sure there are more than a few folks who would appreciate them more than I do.