Note to New Members ×

Timberline July 1st

johnasmo

Hi All,

Some friends and I will be staying at Timberline lodge Sunday June 30th and Monday July 1st on our way to the Oregon coast. We're hoping to get some snow turns in on Monday. Should I be bringing carving gear or softies, or both? Space is limited; the others will just rent gear if they can, but if it's carveable, I know I'll have to bring my own stuff. It looks pretty soggy on today's (June 26th) webcams. Opinions/suggestions for this time of year?

John

John. It is a bit of a crap shoot as far as conditions this time of year. It is going to be a warming / drying trend this coming week. The upper part of the "Palmer" chair is pretty steep. The camps are in full motion I would suspect, which means much of the upper half is divided into race lanes (private spaces) the lower half is typically dominated by snowboard camps , half pipes , parks etc (again, private). Snow is groomed in the evening when it is often mush, then it sets up for a potentially very firm morning. There are periods of very good salt induced corn snow. Staying there will be fun, history and awesome views. My guess is you won't be going back and forth to Portland. If you do, I am happy to loan you any gear you might need. If you need a place to "Camp" so to speak near Portland, let me know. I have space for sure. Please feel free to contact me. oldsnowboards at gmail dot com

Bryan

<object width="960" height="720"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/XtJBHKlrBCE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/XtJBHKlrBCE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Thanks Bryan,

I got my dates right, but days wrong. We're there Monday (30th) and Tuesday (1st), so looks like Tuesday is the potential riding day. According to the NOAA, the forecast is for SUNNY with a high of 63! Woo Hoo! We're heading south to Bend after that.

John

We had a great time. I rode my Coiler VSR the whole day. The less salted public lanes were soft and loose right away. Then after the campers left for lunch the rest of the super slab was open. It actually carved pretty well for July snow. Woo Hoo!

I did shoot video, but mostly of the nine year old daughter of our friends. We vacation with them all the time and I've burned her a DVD of our travel exploits each year since 2008. Not likely to get posted, but who knows... maybe.

The weather was spectacular. After 2:00, we hit the lodge pool for the rest of the afternoon.

post-1861-14184241715_thumb.jpg

post-1861-141842417153_thumb.jpg

post-1861-141842417156_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I did shoot video, but mostly of the nine year old daughter of our friends. We vacation with them all the time and I've burned her a DVD of our travel exploits each year since 2008. Not likely to get posted, but who knows... maybe.

It turns out I did post video of the day to youtube. There's actually some POV carving shots in there because I rode alpine all day.