Note to New Members ×

pain in the instep

Carve234

Been having some issues lately with the instep of my front foot hurting while I ride. It seems to be in the muscle or tendon or whatever on the bottom of my foot, right along the arch. I dont think it is caused by a poor fit in my boots, although unfortunately I still ride in ski boots, I've been riding with the same pair for a number of years and havent had any problems before this season. It seems to be getting worse. I have some suspicions as to what may be causing it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had or heard of a similar issue and could offer some advice as to what might be causing it and/or how to go about fixing it.

Thanks,

Jim

Guest Randy S.

This post is a joke, right? You've been beating on the same boots for years, undoubtedly don't have decent footbeds in them, and your feet hurt? What a surprise.

Try getting custom footbeds made, buying new boots, getting snowboard boots (that fit properly) and/or taking some Sportlegs before you ride. If you don't have Sportlegs, try drinking more water and eating a few bananas.

Ok, so in hindsight I guess the problem was pretty obvious. And while I don't normally take offense to things very easily, it bothers me that I asked an honest question, however stupid it may seem to the more experienced guys, and was made fun of for it. Seems to me that one of the purposes of this forum is to allow the more experienced riders out there to pass on their expertise and help the sport grow. But I guess making fun of the new guy is probably alot more entertaining...

In my own defense, I've been trying to track down better boots for a while now. Not everyone can afford to go out and buy custom footbeds and thermoflex boots. The problem I'm having is that I have big feet and not alot of money, so if you happen to know of any decent size 30 boots that I could pick up fairly cheap, that would be awesome. Thanks.

Guest Randy S.

made fun of you? That's nothing. You should see what happens to people who ask stupid questions on the motorcycle site I frequent.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I completely can relate to the limited budget issues.

Keep an eye on the classifieds section here. You'll find boots at a reasonable price. Expect to need at least a basic non-custom aftermarket footbed. They cost around $30 so factor that into the cost if you buy used.

I feel your pain, having only ever had one pair of boots even close to comfortable.

Your riding may have improved, so you are pushing harder, and thus stressing your feet a bit more

You may be riding in harder choppier snow this year, which tends to load up your feet a bit more

Or you may have altered your technique a bit, and be either leaning too much, or sitting back a little much on heelsides, which may also be loading up your feet.

Obviously, fitted boots and foot beds will help, but if you cannot do that, they you can take care of your feet a little better.

Get some decent socks; they should be a medium/low thickness sock specifically made of skiing is probably the best; make sure they aren't bunching up at all when you put them on.

Swear an anti inflammatory cream on your feet where they hurt about 20 minutes before you ride everytime; voltarin emugel is a good one. Sometimes the inflammation keeps getting inflamed and gets worse and worse... this might alleviate things a bit.

When you put on your boots, make sure they are always warm and dry; don't leave them in your car overnight etc.

What is probably causing this is that your foot is collapsing from above, due to the tightness or some aspect of movement - a foot bed, even a cruddy one, will provide support to your arch, and stop it collapsing under pressure.... If you are also getting pain on the inside edge of your arch and the bunion on your front food little toe, then those are signs of the same thing occuring.

The only real fix for these are footbeds; if you can't get molded ones, at least get the standard plastic ones, and cut some pieces of foam or something and build up an arch to support your foot.

But the voltarin is a good place to start; it should help almost straight away.

Using tiger balm or similar after you finish riding and not standing around will also help; if you can get into a routine of not walking around the lodge etc with your boots on, you can save your feet for riding more; walking around stresses out my feet a lot more than riding. In you can get to a Thai store near you, ask for "Num mun Muay" (muay rhymes with Toy or soi) this is similar to tiger balm and seem to reduce swelling and pain; this is what Muay Thai fighters use to make their seemingly miraculous recoveries after big fights. You will want to massage in, leave for 20 minutes withyour feet up watchin TV or whatever and then you should be feeling much better.

I think it's penny wise and pound foolish to be riding with ill fitting boots. Chris Klug's career was almost ended by a bone spur that was caused by wearing boots that were too small. In his book, he said it was harder to recover from the bone spur than his liver transplant. Check eBay for boots. I've seen a lot of larger boots there recently.

kipstar, where are you in Thailand? Can I talk to you off-list? I'm headed to your fair country in March.

PM me with your email address.

Originally posted by skategoat

Chris Klug's career was almost ended by a bone spur that was caused by wearing boots that were too small.

Be careful with that statement. Too small of boots can not cause a bone spur. Bone spurs are caused by a number of reasons, but mostly due to the arch of the foot (assuming it was a heel spur) not being able to handle the load placed on it. This occurs for hundreds of reasons, but none of which are b/c of too small of boots. If that were the case, every world cup skier in the past 50 years would be talking about it.....

Kent:

I'm not making it up. I just finished his book and that was Klug's description. He said he borrowed some boots that were too small and it caused a heel spur. I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV so I have to take Chris's word for it. I'll dig up the book to confirm.

Henry

I understand what you're saying, but there's a big difference b/w "CK's claimed in his book that his bones spurs were caused by too small of boots" and saying "Chris Klug's career was almost ended by a bone spur that was caused by wearing boots that were too small"

If I were a newbie and read it...I'd think "I better buy my boots big so I don't get bone spurs".