Note to New Members ×

Sims featured in Mazda ad

icebiker

Yeah I think it premiered during the Super Bowl. Amusing how Mazda assumes authority to award Sims with the title of Creator of the Snowboard, a hotly contested piece of winter history that I didn't realize had been settled, haha. I do believe Sims's stories of building a snowboard in woodshop in 1963 in junior high school. Sherman Poppen invented the Snurfer in 1965 according to wikipedia, and went into production in 1966, selling over half a million. For this, I think Poppen has a greater claim on the title. Sims didn't go into production until 1976, according to their website. Winterstick would be the 2nd snowboard company, starting in 1972.

Edited by Jack Michaud
  • Like 1

Call me sensitive, but I'm a little offended. They are comparing a freaking car to the father of snowboarding.

It's a non-sequitor for sure, but I'll take the exposure and if Sims's family makes money off it then great.

On a related note, did you hear the new isomething is as influential as the Wright brothers?

I would say the iPhone is right up there in the list of significant inventions.

Even if we debate over who gets to own the title of who invented the snowboard, I'm just glad that Mazda's actually interested in our sport. We all agree that our sport is struggling and any support is good support. They are also a major sponsor for Canada Snowboard and support the national teams in all disciplines, alpine, sbx and freestyle. Maybe the advertising agency's also to blame for some "quick" research. Don't get me wrong, any association between a company and a sport will cause some sort of disturbance, some will approve and some won't. I guess there's good and bad in everything...

• 3 years later...
On 4/30/2014 at 2:07 PM, kasko said:

I'm just glad that Mazda's actually interested in our sport.

Stumbled onto this while poking around the Canadian national team site. Craig McMorris straps into an Allflex'd Kessler wearing Atomic ski boots with Darren Gardner, brought to you by Mazda.

https://www.facebook.com/mazdacanada/videos/10153355249235741/