Note to New Members ×

Two Great Guys to be Missed in the Hardboot World: Coach Karl and Sean K.

fin

Just want to take some time here to thank two guys who have made a HUGE difference in the alpine snowboard world and more specifically, the youth side of the sport.

The first one is Karl Koehle, otherwise known as “Coach Karl”. (*I apologize for the lateness of this one as Karl retired after last season and I am a slacker). Karl was an amazing force with the famous G-Team out of Minnesota. He was with that team as their youth coach for many years and was the force behind their strong alpine snowboard racing program. I have never seen so many little race rippers come out of one single program. Every spring at Nationals we would see Karl work tirelessly all week with his ever growing group of kids. And of course the kids loved him! Karl is moving on to work more on his working (and paying) career.

post-1-141842415961_thumb.jpg

Next is Sean Keough, director of USASA Maine Mountain Series. He has just announced he is stepping down from this position as of the end of this season. Sean was another hero who spent tireless hours working to grow and progress the alpine snowboard side of the sport. He was always an advocate of our discipline when we needed it the most. I know for a fact Sean put on more than 200 events in his time and always made sure hardboot disciplines where a part of everything he had his hand in.

post-1-141842415965_thumb.jpg

Both of these guys did these jobs as semi-volunteers because they loved the sport and enjoyed working with the kids. These two men had the pleasure of seeing our young athletes grow to become contributing members of society, and have seen many go on to achieve success at higher level in events such as the Jr Worlds, College Nationals, Nor-Am Cup, World Cup, X-Games and Olympics. Both of these guys have told us great people are coming in to take their place but it still does not change the fact they will be missed and the carving world will not be the same without them pushing the programs in their respected areas.

Thank you Karl and Sean for all you have done over the years for our sport.