Note to New Members ×

Technique no no or yes yes?

Guest Ghostrider

Guest Ghostrider

I've been a self taught carver/racer and I've really taken my boarding up a few levels at the end of last year and the start of this year. I'm finally comfortable on steeps to really push the board to its max speed, flex and angle and solidly lay down fully linked/laid turns that are pretty symmetric. But I've noticed that with my new found aggressiveness that I think I'm really driving my back knee forward. In fact I've got a huge bruise on it cuz I drove it right into the top of my front boot.

I can't remember, is this good or bad? I'm pretty sure its old school looking if my knees are that close together, but should I avoid doing this???:confused:

Is this something to brag about (kind of like an extremeness indicator)?? Or am I just riding with poor style?

I did this when I was riding a Volkl 163 RTSL with TD2 SI's with the Red (hard) elastometer and a pair of Head stratos with the stiff tounge. I've also "knee banged" on a 168 RTGS but it wasnt quite as hard a hit.

Help me figure out if I'm right or wrong!!!!

I wouldn't worry about it on heelside if you feel like you're carving well. It's just evidence that you are really driving forward and pressuring the nose, which is a good thing. Paul K certainly knows what he's doing.

Knees together is more of a problem on toeside. Having knees apart on toeside is waaay better for balance and power, like this and this.

"Old school" would be if your knees were touching <i>each other</i>, which is not what you're describing.

Ghost: I too am mostly self-taught. Heelsides, I do the same thing. That is, I drive my rear knee forward along the long axis of the board. Toesides I tend to turn that same knee out a bit.

I have yet to touch my front boot, but I can see this happening if I flex the board into a tight arc.

My RT really likes to be ridden this way: You ever get the feeling you are doing lunges all the way down the hill? Lunge forward to load the nose, shift back a bit and extend through the turn, explode out of the turn, switch edges, repeat.

I'm exaggerating a bit with the term 'lunge.' It's more of a smooth weight transition forward on the board, then a smooth shift back as the turn progresses. I also note that the more I compress my legs and press against the board, the more grip I have on the snow/ice!

Happy trails! :)

Guest Ghostrider
Originally posted by Ray

Ghostrider, are you coming to the SES?

Would be great.

Ray

I dunno...I'm prolly not gonna know till last minute...I need some funds. If I can sell my old RTGS 168 for $250, then I could probably go, but I'm livin up the college student tight budget :D Anybody want to set up a SES scholarship fund?? ;)

Originally posted by Tommy D

My RT really likes to be ridden this way: You ever get the feeling you are doing lunges all the way down the hill? Lunge forward to load the nose, shift back a bit and extend through the turn, explode out of the turn, switch edges, repeat.

I definately know what you are talking about! I just picked up on this earlier this year. I load the nose and then gradually shift back and load the tail on the way out. I think its slowing down my edge transition a bit so i've been trying to not do it but its definately fun. I think I remember people talking about it a very long time ago. You end up gettin a little air time on the transition if you give a little kick with the back foot when the board goes flat. Very fun to time it right with some moguls and air into an edge transition.

But I'm feelin that RTGS love...My favorite stick. For riding in the midwest, that board rocks. I can get in so many awesome carves per run its amazing. I'll never forget the first time I got that to finally hook up....oh...i think i need a moment...

...*tear of joy*...

:*)

Ok I'm back.

Anyway, back on subject. Thanks for the comments!

Originally posted by Ghostrider

I definately know what you are talking about! I just picked up on this earlier this year. I load the nose and then gradually shift back and load the tail on the way out. I think its slowing down my edge transition a bit so i've been trying to not do it but its definately fun. I think I remember people talking about it a very long time ago. You end up gettin a little air time on the transition if you give a little kick with the back foot when the board goes flat. Very fun to time it right with some moguls and air into an edge transition.

Yes exactly, except I skip the part where the board goes flat and launch from one edge to the next. :D

I've never paid much attention to how fast my transitions are, but sometimes it feels instantaneous. IIRC, when I let the board swing under me, the transitions are MUCH faster.

Guest Todd Stewart

The best way to stop turning with your knees together is to get some lift on the front of your back foot. If possible a little on the inside part of your back foot aswell.

Help me figure out if I'm right or wrong!!!!

The best thing about this sport is that there is no right or wrong... almost. If you are getting bruised while riding there might be a better way.

Jack refers to a picture of me that couldn't be more appropriate, because that setup was killing my rear knee every time the going got rough on the trail.

I made some changes after that and haven't experienced the knee bang since.. The old setup included 3deg front cant, 6deg rear. 18.5" stance width. Boots leaned forward only two clicks (#4?)..

For the new setup, I swapped the rear cant for a 3deg, and started moving my stance a little wider(one hole on bomber disc).

I try to ride any given setup a few different days in different conditions, before I make another new change.

I hope this helps you out a little, and IMO, melting gloves and worn out hips on snowpants from too many steep frozen diamond groomers are more extreme than busted knees!

Ghostrider, you sure your getting the pop out of your board when its flat?Usually you would get it at the end of the carve, the board compressing whilst still on edge then taking off and landing on the other edge. You actually change edge before the board is pointing down the fall line, this goes for aggressive carving also. It san awesome feeling though your right there, sweet.

Guest Ghostrider

I guess I meant that the pop was just before the board was flat and that the board is in the air during the transition.

I'm not sure what you mean by changing edge before the board is pointing down the fall line. For the type of carving I am speaking of, the edge change occurs perpindicular or past perpindicular to the fall line to control speed.

Unless you mean beginning the transition to the other edge when board is pointed down the fall line? Where that would be initiating the movements to get the board back under my feet just after the apex of the turn? That I could see...but if you are talking about an edge transfer with the board pointed down the fall line, it doesnt seem like you'd get in much of a carve.

I'm not sure what you mean by changing edge before the board is pointing down the fall line.

Again, look at that picture of Paul. He made the edge change before the board pointed down the fall-line, and is carving the downhill edge.