Note to New Members ×

TD2 2nd board kit or TD1 used? (hard freeride setup)

D-Sub

ok..so..I found a pair of 3 strap hardboots, and am gonna give the plates a try on the freeride tip.

would I do better to buy a TD2 2nd board kit, or score a pair of used TD1s? Are the TD2s more suited to a freeride setup for any reason?

thanks in advance

I've never used the TD1 but I would think the soft e-ring on the 2's would be better. I'm using Snowpro Fast Race for my second level binding and parts of a Snowpro Fast Base on my splitboard setup. I prefer a little flex on my crud board so judge for yourself! Either TD1's or 2's will be capable of overpowering a softer board, probably with your 123's also.

Dave, I just went to TD2's with a second board kit on my all mountain board. They are a so easy to change out, just remember the angles:confused: But you already know this because you have been ridding the TD2's for some time.

I was a little concerned that these bindings would over power a softer board, but since I ride it in mostly softer conditoins it hasn'ty been be a problem.

what do people mean when they say overpower?

If I was on say my Oxygen178 big ol tank of a powder board...I dont think Id be anywhere near as aggressive as I would on a carver, simply because I know thats not really what its for...

right attitude?

Right Attitude!

what do people mean when they say overpower?

I think what people mean is the compatibility of the whole package boots, bindings and board. For example one wouldn’t want to use three buckle softer boots and more flexible bindings with a stiff 185+ cm board (under power). Wouldn’t it be safe to say with this combination the rider could never ride the board to its full potential?

Likewise, extremely stiff boots and bindings on a soft board the rider would loose some of the benefits of a more flexible ride (overpower).

I ride my Indies 100% of the time. In the softer conditions I loosen the top buckles and they work fine for me--- it’s a lot cheaper that buying several boots.

Most softboot boards are not designed to handle the pressure and torque exerted by a rigid hardboot set-up. One slalom training session last year, I decided to put my race plates (along with my Burton Fire boots) on my Burton Republic (all mountain/backcountry) board. The board could not handle the amount of G's I was generating and there were a few times where I either couldn't get out of a turn (board not stiff enough to release) or I folded the nose (not stiff enough) and went "over the handle bars".

I'm not saying that it can';t be done, but be aware that your riding style may have to change slightly in order to not overload the nose. FYI the board is essentially decambered now.

-Gord