Note to New Members ×

Gladiator, first ride...

Ray

Originally posted by D-Sub

yeah, its the vert thing that makes a different

all I know is a frontside smith and backside smith look a hell of a lot different and Nolder rocked the backsides:)

Id still think frontside would be heelside and backside would be toe:)

damn skaters

Hey watch what you say about us sk8ters...and in the vert skate world you are correct...I always forget about the street guys who usually have not a clue about ramp/pool... However the way they look at it it is essentially the same, direction of travel = side...do a backside railside and your a$$ is facing the direction of travel. Backside smiths are easy on vert if you f@$%^ them up you just fall to you knees...a F$#% up front side smith is usually followed by smashed shins/teeth

boy we sure fcked up rays thread. sorry ray:)

hey gecko...I "was" a skater too...from about 81 til 2001 pretty diehard. mostly street, some vert, any backyard pools we could find, ditches, etc...I wasnt baggin on skaters (not a fan of the rock star direction its gone but hey.)

anyway...Im gonna stick with toe and heel or Ill be even more confused!

Ray...your pics rock. got any of your wife in action? (CARVING that is)

Yeah, well in skating we don't have bottom turns, so all the frontside/backside terminology grew from the surf-oriented skaters calling them based on the cutback (kickturn at the lip). So now anytime you rotate with your front out it's frontside. But what with all the switch tricks and doing them nowhere near a bank/pool/ramp it's no wonder there's confusion. Now translate it to the snow and it's one more level of indirection....

I like toeside/heelside for explanations, it's the most clear. But I learned to skate in the 70s (and still skate) so in my head I'm thinking backside/frontside.