Note to New Members ×

Mount Kato 2014

bobble

Morning [#GreatWhiteBuffalo #HotTubTimeMachine #WeBeJammin #AwwShaneShane]

i've skied Mount Kato at least twice in college. once in '84 and in '88. i had vague memories of the place. had to read online reviews. one reviewer said "pure crap".

even driving down Front Street was interesting. life imitating art. heh!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I0Sxxibos-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rode with my two nephews who are going to Minnesota State. when we pulled into Mt Kato parking lot it started to snowing heavily. big flakes. it was coming down so that it was hard to see. i think they accumulated 4-5 inches at noon. rode softies.

post-1112-141842409049_thumb.jpg

had to go to the terrain park. those two are pretty sore right now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TqTe66hB3vg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

at Mount Kato the hills are much shorter than Buck or Hyland. a few decent pitches on front but very short. the backside runs were long but flatten out. it was slow going. with all the new snow you couldn't turn otherwise you'd have to walk to the chair. whenever i set the board on edge i could feel soft or crunchy ice underneath the fresh snow. it didn't feel right -- almost like i had rusty edges,

there were plenty of areas near the edges of the trails where the snow wasn't tracked out even by noon time so i was riding through powder. kind of fun.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IepqFck9iNE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

place was crowded with... Ski Jammers. ... grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change...

post-1112-141842409057_thumb.jpg

Olympic Cosplay

there were some people dressed in olympic costumes from other countries. a couple guys were from Kazakstan and were wearing green thongs under speed suits. the jamaican bobsled team was there. bunch of guys dressed as arabs. lots of funky spandex outfits.

post-1112-141842409055_thumb.jpg

Ski Chalet

inside the chalet the walls were decked out in vintage gear. lots of "Look" snowboards on the wall. not sure why but there were people dressed retro. seriously. might've been part of the Olympic group, not sure.

all i could think of... Scritti Politti

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N_ymrjPrV4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>