Note to New Members ×

It's not really that bad up here

jishaq

I've been out carving the past few days at Squaw & Alpine. There are good carving runs at both, and the snow (mostly man-made) is great carving. I was thoroughly entertained and carving like mad for 2-3 hours. Spending an entire day on the 7-10 opened runs might get tedious around 2 or 3 PM; I've just been hitting it in the AM. But I have to say, I am really impressed with the quality of the snow, and most of the locals are saying "it's actually pretty good, and there's nobody up there."

I think Alpine has better carving than Squaw at the moment.

No off-piste stuff, obviously. We haven't had significant snowfall since Dec 7th. But the snowmaking has put down some nice stuff, and I'm kind of surprised at how un-crowded the slopes are. Just my $.02.

-Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

(It's been quite a while since I last posted on Bomber, and I can't view TahoeCarvers page on Facebook because I'm still avoiding Facebook account, LOL.)

Finally went up to Tahoe (upon a social invitation, not necessarily my idea with drought) for the first time this season over the weekend (1/25~1/26). I briefly carved at Alpine on Saturday, and I was also pleasantly surprised by the (man-made) snow texture being decent for what it is. Since the open trails are kinda narrow & everybody has to ski there, I found it to be a bit too crowded for my taste, though. In any case, I managed to sneak in a few first turns of this season on Saturday, so I was content. On Sunday, I just let my wife ski with my 7yr-old, and I sat back at the lodge with my 4y-old, who also very briefly tried skiing for the 1st time. Since Alpine's man-made snow texture was decent, now I'm also curious about the current snow texture at Kirkwood.

In the recent past years, I've only been at Badger Pass (in Yosemite, which is still not open this season) & Tahoe Donner, with our small children in mind. (Big resorts still scare me, for my kids sake.)

Anyway, hopefully the storm this week (not sure how much) will help, and hopefully more to come sooner rather than later.

Edited by Hiroshi

From last night's system, we got 4" at north lake (south lake got a little bit more) and prob 8-10" up in the mountains. We are slated to get another 4-12" tonight. A dusting, by Tahoe standards, but it's nice to see a little precip.

Best bet for carving is probably Monday on-piste, on the rider-packed powder. I am leaving town, unfortunately, so I don't get to experience it.

Off-piste is still pointless unless you want to ruin your board or break your leg, though tell that to the masses who will inevitably come up this weekend and try to shred it up in the trees in a foot of powder on top of dirt and rocks. The p-tex repairs and hospitals will be in full swing. At least they will help pack down that pesky powder so it can hold a carve better!