Note to New Members ×

Burton Safari Comp III -- sidecut radius?

D.Roe

Hi, I just bought a Burton Safari Comp III (173 cm) and am trying to determine the sidecut radius... The distance between the widest points tip and tail is 147.0 cm. Next to a 2-meter straight-edge (level), the arc measures 12.75 mm at the board's narrowest point. So I fed this info into the Complete Circular Arc Caluculator (http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/arc18.cgi), which tells me it's just over a 21 meter radius. Does that sound right?

Anyone ever ride one of these with softboots?

Cheers,

David

C'mon, Jack -- with its pristine edges and base (supposed to have 10-12 days on it), this baby is just begging to be ridden. And the matching black ptex T-nut inserts will only "add character" to the board... :-)

I promise, I'll do better than the guy did on the board in the attached pic!!

David

post-10066-141842404615_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I used to ride a comp 1 in Vermont. And that was my favorite board EVER. From hard pack to pow. All in soft boots. It got ripped off and I've been looking for one ever since. I bought it new in 88 or 89. I'm used to the narrow stance. I have a hard time on the new boards with the wide stance. You will fall in love with that board. It's FAST

If this is not a joke post, you can buy Safaris on eBay, a few have sold in the last month. They sell for 200-500 most often and then you can relive your dream.

While Safaris are were fast, I think you can find a lot of fast boards today that have narrow stances and even have faux-Safari graphics.

All that said, it feels like am responding to a troll/joker so this is all probably in vain.

Hi, I just bought a Burton Safari Comp III (173 cm) and am trying to determine the sidecut radius... The distance between the widest points tip and tail is 147.0 cm. Next to a 2-meter straight-edge (level), the arc measures 12.75 mm at the board's narrowest point. So I fed this info into the Complete Circular Arc Caluculator (http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/arc18.cgi), which tells me it's just over a 21 meter radius. Does that sound right?

Anyone ever ride one of these with softboots?

Cheers,

David

Instead of putting your straight edge against the widest points of the board, put it against the inflection points (where the sidecut changes from concave to convex), then remeasure your sidecut depth and recalculate. I'm not sure what the shape of that deck is like, but this method should be more accurate.

• Like 1

C'mon, Jack -- with its pristine edges and base (supposed to have 10-12 days on it), this baby is just begging to be ridden. And the matching black ptex T-nut inserts will only "add character" to the board... :-)

I promise, I'll do better than the guy did on the board in the attached pic!!

David

attachicon.gifBoard_defacement.jpg

Hey....A Serge Dupraz board!!

Late 80's, early 90's Burton all pretty much used Wren's Quadratic sidecuts. If you were to string a clothes-line under a bit of tension, then apply weights to it, with the heaviest mass in the middle, and progressively lighter weights out away from the center, that would describe a quadratic curve. With the tightest curvature being closest to the center, you get an 'average', as compared to a circular arc, that 'reads high' with  the 'sidecut calculator'. Boards like that were meant to be bent, hard, under pressure, in the middle (which, btw, was where the bindings were mounted; about 4"-6" closer than most are today). A Safari Comp III was a beast, but it had a sidecut of around 14m. M-8's (180cm raceboard), a few years later would be bigger in arc, around 16m. My 205 'Long-Comp' was actually using three distinct curvatures (and two camber platforms, plus a rockered nose, with a 'base-high' bevel along parts of the edge. Genius stuff for '89) which about drove my Dad (an Engineer by trade) nuts when we went to measure and calculate it's sidecut! He probably spent 3 days studying the sidecut tracings on the drafting-board, working out the start-end points to each curve, and 'plugging in' the various curvatures mathematically. It turned into quite a math puzzle for him (and me, too; I could visualize it, but not follow the arithmetic) to solve.  In the end, it averaged out to a 20m sidecut, and trust me, it didn't 'arc' a turn until 30 mph or so.

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR
  • Like 1

Burton catalogs first mention of quadratic sidecuts was in the 1990 season for production boards.  Dimensions of the 1989 Safari Comp III were 295mm nose, 266mm waist, 293mm tail, 147cm running length.  Using the old approximate formula Radius = Running Length/ (8 x Sidecut Depth) gives a radius of about 19.3m.  Safari Comp II was about 16m, and it felt like it.

But this thread is kind of silly, this board belongs on a wall.

• 1 year later...

"But this thread is kind of silly, this board belongs on a wall."

Hey Jack, I actually heeded your advice!

Well, sort of... You certainly influenced my decision to give the Safari to a friend in Neustift Austria who owns a ski/board rental shop and ski/board school. I missed the 2016 revival of this thread. Coincidentally, it was exactly at that time that I gave the board to my friend. On his walls he had old wooden skis from the beginning of the sport, and I thought he should also have a snowboard from this sport's beginning...

However, I did say that I might be borrowing it from him for a day or two each Spring.  I know, I know... it should stay on the wall. But what choice does a softboot carver have nowadays for a board that is wide enough for softboots, but also has a radius of around 20 meters? I also have Sims 1711 Blade and a Mistral Carving edge 170, neither of which had been ridden or even had binding holes in them, before I put T-nuts in them -- they are fun to ride!   ;-)

Look on the bright side - of all the boards hanging on a wall or ceiling, my former Safari Comp III is the best tuned board of them  all!  :-)  Two days ago, I sharpened the edges and waxed it with Hertel's FC 739. So it's ready for a little cruise in April!

Attached a pic of the Safari Comp III. (Hanging from the ceiling, it acts as an arrow to point into the snowboard nook of the shop...)

Cheers,
David

Safari_in_Skischule_Neustift.jpg