Note to New Members ×

Burton Race Plates on Donek?

jim_stoll

I'm going to be demo'ing a Donek Axis and FC2 in a few weeks, and was told by Sean that I'd need to use my own bindings, which is fine - except - it just occured to me that my Race Plates seem to be attached to my Burton Alp with 3 screws in a triangular pattern, if memory serves me right (I don't have the board handy at the moment...) Also, I have a Burton cant under my rear binding - does anyone know off-hand if that'll mount up to the Donek?

Can the Burton plates be mounted on a Donek-style (and it sounds like most new boards use this style) set of parallel holes or do I need to come up w/ new bindings to demo the boards??

Thanks for any help/info!

Jim

Who/where to I talk to to see about finding these items that would allow me to mount the Burton plates on a 4x4 hope pattern, any suggestions?

Given that I've been saving up my pennies to buy a board this winter (but didn't factor in the cost of new bindings) - what are reasonably priced bindings that I could buy if I had to? (I'm a 135 lb'er, so something semi-cheesy for someone else could conceivably work for me...)

Appreciate the info on the Burton plate adapters and the new bindings!

Jim

some of them had both 3D and 4x4 but they only made those for a season or two

your search for a center disc is going to be allot easier any four hole disc from another burton binding will work with your race plates as long as they are post 1994

Originally posted by bobdea

some of them had both 3D and 4x4 but they only made those for a season or two

your search for a center disc is going to be allot easier any four hole disc from another burton binding will work with your race plates as long as they are post 1994

is that when they standardized them? cool!

another place to check would be Chris Klug's website. Email them and see?

I think its KlugRiding.com? someone will correct me if Im wrong

Jim,

If your looking for 4x4 disks be careful, The first year of the 3d system the disks were smaller (93 maybe?)

I had one these and couldn't find a 4x4 disk for my binding. Bobdea is right though, any later disk will work. Burton made the disks larger after the first year to make them stronger.

Good luck,

Steve

Jim,

as stated above, any snowboard shop that sells Burton should have the 4x4 discs you need, however you should be able to pick them up local to you for dirt cheap (or even free) rather than in the classifieds or eBay because for years Burton bindings have been sold with both the 3D 3 hole AND 4x4 4 hole discs included. At the shop I used to work at, we used to keep all the 4x4 discs that were leftover after attaching Burton 3d bindings to Burton 3D boards for customers, and we also kept the extra screws too sometimes. If someone asked me nicely for them,(or if they had a six pack of my favorite cold brewskis under their arm), I'd usually give them away because we did so much Burton volume I had a milk crate or two full of them. If you have to buy them outright, I think the suggested retail for them new is a mere $6.00 each (that's $12 for the pair for you math majors).

What is the hole spacing on a "4x4" pattern? (Is that 40mm by 40mm both side-to-side and front-to-back?)

My cant block has 6 holes in it - 2 on each side (ie, edge-sides of the board) and one each toward the nose/tail. The side holes form a rectangle that is 25mm nose-to-tail and 43mm edge-to-edge.

I have NO shops in my area, much less anything even remotely accessible that'd have Burton plate parts... Who/where could I talk to on-line to try to find what I need? (at least one, possibly 2 4-hole discs, and possibly a 4-hole cant insert or entire cant.) I'll check w/ Chris Klug, and have looked through the classifieds section, but likely items there seem to have sold. I'll post a WTB though.

Appreciate everyone's help - please let me know if the cant insert I have will work or not, and any additional suggestions on finding the parts I need.

Thanks Again everyone - you all are great!

Jim

You cannot use your existing 3D cant block insert, you will need to swap the 3D cant center out for a 4H center, or get an entire 4H cant to replace it, in addition of course to the 2 4x4 discs you will need. You are only looking to demo a board at this point, trying to use your existing 3D Burton setup, not buy one at this point, correct???

Well, I pretty-well expect to buy a new board this season, so if I can find what I need to use my existing bindings on a 4x4 pattern board, I'll probably go ahead and purchase the needed parts (and worst-case, sell them down the road if I don't end up needing them)

The price of a new board has my toy budget relatively tapped-out, and I'd been expecting to be able to use my existing bindings as-is on the new board, thus my quest to purchase some minor parts for the older bindings vs new bindings.

If you bought the Alp with the bindings installed, try contacting the seller to see if he has the 4x4 discs and the cant insert, the race plates always came with both sets of discs, but didn't come with cants til later on. You could also demo the boards without the cant, try riding the Alp without it in place. And, as pointed out, anybody that sells burton will have the discs available-they are not specific to the race plates.

At your weight, I would not worry about the sturdiness of the Burton plates, either.

Sadly, the fact that I can't remember the name of the shop where I bought board gives some indication of how badly I need a new board... :-) Its been 8 or so years - maybe a place called Vorsuch or similar in the Vail/Beaver area, maybe?

I'm headed out to Copper in 3 weeks (where I'll be demo'ing the boards), so I might be able to find something while I'm out there, but I don't want to get stuck having boards to demo and no bindings to use on them, so I'd rather get the problem solved ASAP. If Burton still sells the discs, I'll just call them up and order 2 - $12 is a small price to pay if I can actually lay my hands on a pair!

How much should I expect to pay for a 4-hole cant from Burton - any idea?

Thanks!