Note to New Members ×

Learning Curve

Chubz

Folks,

I am hopefully heading to Day #6 of alpine on Friday if weather permits. I'm just looking for some input on the learning curve of alpine. I am new this season and get heavily motivated by seeing pics of all of you laying downs turns in your pics and the video clips from www.extremecarving.com - Opus #3 is my fav.

I rode with my first hardbooter on Sunday and he said I'm doing well for it only being my 4th day in hardboots. I still have a great deal to learn and Jesse was helpful with some pointers. I have been riding since 1984 in softies and came to HB's this season. I guess what I am looking at is, how long before I'm laying down turns I see on Opus #3.

Besides taking lessons, are there any publications out there that take you through the beginning lessons of alpining on your own, as if taking a lesson. Drills that you can do to lead up to deep, thigh burning, g-force turns.

Everyday I visit the site and ride, I kick myself for not getting into it sooner.

Thanks to all of you for reigniting my passion for snowboarding.

Greg

http://www.bomberonline.com//articles/feel_the_carve.cfm

Also there is some other beginner info in the Welcome Center

Be very careful with your attitude towards what you see in Opus 3. Those are very advanced maneuvers done by expert, seasoned carvers. Notice how it doesn't even look like they're <i>trying</i>. Well, they almost aren't. That is, they're not <i>trying</i> to touch the snow, the snow comes up to them. In other words, don't try to touch the snow! Bending over at the waist towards your toeside edge, and excessively sitting down into your heelside carve are to be avoided. If you can avoid this, you will prevent yourself from learning a very common bad habit that is difficult to unlearn.

Good luck! Report back here!

Jack

Thnks for the feedback and that is what I figured. I intend on getting to that point of the snow being so aroused by me , that it comes to me. thats just my attitude. The fact that it can be done, I intend on doing it.

As always apreciate the intpu and look foraward to meeting you someday.

Greg