Note to New Members ×

Camelback or Blue on Friday afternoon/evening?

piusthedrcarve

I have a family gathering at NYC this Saturday afternoon and I may be able to ride Camelback or Blue on Friday afternoon/evening.

I don't know their trails/condition/crowdness. I will be with 5 yrs old son (skier). Never been either places, don't know trails/condition/crowdness on Friday afternoon/evening.

MD's WISP would be my choice if I go for this late season, but Camelback & Blue is on the way to NYC, if I tweak a route little bit.

Any recommendation?

suggest moving the thread to NY/NJ/PA forum.

It depends on what you want, so I will try to describe both. First, it's late in our season here so (as you know) so I'm not sure either will be as crowded as they would be on a "typical" friday night.

At Camelback, you are guaranteed to have at least a few runs to yourself if you know which lifts to take (hopefully they have the raceway 3person lift open, but it's doubtful). Camelback is a little more spread out than Blue, so you have more lift options. It's possible (and at this point in the year I wouldn't bank on it...) that pocono raceway or rhododendron glen would actually have some groom left and some nice conditions friday afternoon/night. You could also try the greens and blues on the other side of the mountain, though you'd have to wait in the main lift line (which might not be so bad in the afternoon).

At Blue (and i haven't been there for two years now) you have longer, wider trails, but in my past experience because of the way the mtn is set up you get more traffic on the popular trails. There's really only one or two lifts to take, so lift lines might be longer. Also, less chance to find a trail that hasn't been cut up too bad.

I think camelback is doing $25 lift tickets right now, not sure about blue. With camelback, it literally is right off of I80, so you could hop on that when you head to NYC. Blue is alittle more removed from civilization.

If I had my pick with good conditions and no one at the mountain I would choose Blue. But my season pass is to camelback, simply because it's easier to get away from the crowds there. If you go to camelback, feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss trail details.

Good luck!

pius - i was at wisp yesterday and you only missed about 90 minutes of hero chalk first thing in the a.m. the instant the sun hit it and it glistened, it got sticky until bout 5 p.m., when some shade and breeze made it fast again. unexpectedly busy ($29 and spring breakers) and not enough chairs in motion, imo. last day for me and i just put all my stuff away, so my wife thinks i'm done. i'm still looking at the overnight temps in VT and i've never been to new england 3 x's in a season, so...........

yesterday was day 30.