Note to New Members ×

Big Sky trip report

OhD

Big Sky's been great. We (3.5 couples- old friends from Seattle & Bellingham) rented a ski in/out house for the week and have four days on the boards at BS. I've been two days on a brand new Coiler Nirvana 182 (fabulous board) one on my Venture Zephyr and one on freeheel skis.

We've had a foot or so of fresh pow, temps mostly in the 0 - 20F range and not much of a crowd (a swarm of Palm Beach skiers in costumes being a colorful exception).

BS is not big on groomers, but given the size of the resort there are still Lots of nice blue cords and the quality is quite good. Big ungroomed powder bowls and steeps above and below treeline are the resort's trademarks, and boy do they deliver! Huge blue and black bowls and glades, many of them moderately bumpy but tempered with enough powder that the light traffic can't begin to pack it out. Big arcs or zipper lines- it's all good. Tight slots in the woods abound (not the best terrain for a 182 on hardboots) and there are is a lot of wind transport above treeline so base damage is pretty much a given.

The base village is compact and pretty comprehensive and there's another village 7 miles down at the golf course. Not much in the way of huts (or toilets) on the mountain, but good and fairly reasonable food. It's pretty easy to get around apart from a flat area on top of Andesite (step-ins are worth the weight and cost just for the smug factor as you sail past the softies). There are a good network of cat tracks to commute on and enough uphill capacity that apart from the summit tram we've not seen more than a minute or two lift line anywhere, even on Sunday.

Put this place on your bucket list, and bring a rock board or two unless you come late in a good year.

Photo: 09:30, Wednesday, Lobo Meadows.

post-3954-141842386904_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the start of this report... thats what we need more photos of the terrain and groom.. Whitefish has been my second home but would love to see more of Big S.... more photos, report on the weather (foggy?)... and so on... village??

I hoping more people do this as Im always looking to try something new...For a weeks worth of a destination resort..

Thanks,

Right Said Shred