Note to New Members ×

Mountain Creek Opening

jtslalom

I bet ythey will open. Just get the worst board you have. It does not need to have edges or PTex. As far as I know snow coverage by MC (and I know it relatively well since I trained racing on MC slope for three seasons) there will be nice plates of rock sticking out. Those are good places to ride in the evenings if you like to see sparks from edges. It works like grinder.

Then you must be rich guy:) Do you have some spare boards to share?

I try to save my boards since they are used for carving on snow rather than on rocks. Otherwise I would not bother Sean at Donek to custom make some fancy board for me. It would not make sense, would it?

Good to have fun on real snow.

Now the problem with MC is not that it has some occasional issue with snowmaking and that NJ winter starts late and lasts short, but with the fact that management does not care much all the season. I am just a rude critic of things that have been happening there for several years;)

Maciek,

Creek has been blowing snow since Monday morning. I live in town and can honestly say the snow coverage is pretty good. Anyway it is 2:40 P.M. Friday and snowing pretty good. We will have about six inches of new snow by Saturday morning and possibly another 10 by Saturdays end. I think you hold a grudge against MC because they discontinued the snowboard race program. As I saw it, there wasn't all that much interest in it anyway. At best 10 people running gates. MC supports the entire NJ high school ski race program. I think that says at least something good about management. They also have some of the best terrain parks in the east coast (not that I'm ever in it). For as far as the short season, the last four seasons I got out over 50 times at MC. That ain't bad for any carver anywhere. I can remeber the days of Vernon Valley/Great Gorge. No high speed quads, terrible conditions, and insanely crowded slopes. MC has put in two high speed quads and a gondola. They have widened some slopes and opened others (Pipe Line) that have not been opened for decades. Coming from a local whos lived in Vernon for over 20 years, MC is a blessing to the ski/snowboard industry in NJ. They sure beat Movahills VV/GG.

I definitely agree with you jtslolom. The old Vernon Valley doesn't compare to Mountain Creek. Much better grooming, wider trails, faster lifts. I'm not comparing it to anything else but what it used to be. I think they could do better on the terrain park, but it's decent. They only mainatin it when there's an upcoming competition...but whatever there's better riding elsewhere on the mountain.

You've been in Vernon for 20 years? I grew up in Warwick. My wife and I live in Westtown now, 15 minutes to the hill - sweeet! It's not the Rockies, but it's nice to carve something.

Hopefully I'll see you out there. I go weekdays, 4-6 days a week, all the time.

Opening weekend had some nice hero snow, huh? We had to leave by 9:30 today, the crowd was pretty insane.

Erik,

I was at Mountain Creek on Sunday from 8:15 to 9:30. They had Both peaks open. I stayed on Bear peak on the racing trail. What board are you riding? This year I will be on a Volkl Renn Tiger 153 and a Rossi 166. I ride with a few other carvers. I ride with a guy from Warwick. His name is Dave. He also rides a Volkl Renn Tiger. Maybe we'll hook up and ride.

A few other carver's? I must live in a cave. I'm on a midnight blue donek. I'm there Mon., Tues., Wed., religiously (except for road trips) and usually early Fri., Sat., Sun., mornings. I work nights/weekends at a restaurant so I play during the week. I don't really check my email so post here if you want to get together. Also, I'm always up for a roadtrip. If I don't see you hopefully I'll see your trench. Somebody left a nice one at the bottom of bear peak lift on Sunday. I'm assuming that was you.