Note to New Members ×

John from LA/Solitude carving

mancave1956

No, I don't think so. He was at Solitude for one day as was I and we just happened to meet up because we were the only two carvers on the hill. Hey Digger Jr: is there a carving community at Solitude? I'm from Boston area and would like to get out to Utah every year or so but would want to be able to hook up with people who carve when I'm out there. Or, is there anywhere in the country you go to hook up with carvers? Brad

Whoa--this thread thing is confusing. Not as hard as carving, I guess but still...re: your question about Park and Canyons. I guess it all comes down to what you like. Those two spots were "interesting" to see but I wouldn't revisit. Crowded I thought. Got run over by someone. Even though I thought I cleared the turn the guy must have been flying or in blind spot. Frustrating to try to get some open slope to traverse at both. Canyons one skies sometimes down trails running through condo groupings: felt like skiing at a very upscale miniature golf course. Zip lines and roller coasters and mini ice rinks with mini Zambonis and lots of outdoor hot tubs packed with kids, lifts from parking lot to reach base gondola that takes ya to beginning of Canyon slopes. Wanna get off mountain whe youve had enough? Better pla way ahead! Conspicuous consumption everywhere. Lotsa kids, people blocking lift lines and pointing with ski poles. God, I sound crotchety. But Solitude is just that. Zen in snow. Nice lodge, not fancy. Wide open slopes and vistas and quiet backcountry trails. Some two-person chairs. A carvers paradise essentially. 66 bucks. Hope this helps! Brad

Hi Brad,

It was my pleasure to ride with you. We should get together again. How was Park City. If it's good I would venture out there. keep carving. John:)

Hey John from LA: Is Solitude Utah not THE best mountain for carving?? Hey respond to this and maybe we can coordinate some days out there next year. Thanks for the lessons on Tuesday Feb 19 2013! Brad from Boston

Whoa--this thread thing is confusing. Not as hard as carving, I guess but still...re: your question about Park and Canyons. I guess it all comes down to what you like. Those two spots were "interesting" to see but I wouldn't revisit. Crowded I thought. Got run over by someone. Even though I thought I cleared the turn the guy must have been flying or in blind spot. Frustrating to try to get some open slope to traverse at both. Canyons one skies sometimes down trails running through condo groupings: felt like skiing at a very upscale miniature golf course. Zip lines and roller coasters and mini ice rinks with mini Zambonis and lots of outdoor hot tubs packed with kids, lifts from parking lot to reach base gondola that takes ya to beginning of Canyon slopes. Wanna get off mountain whe youve had enough? Better pla way ahead! Conspicuous consumption everywhere. Lotsa kids, people blocking lift lines and pointing with ski poles. God, I sound crotchety. But Solitude is just that. Zen in snow. Nice lodge, not fancy. Wide open slopes and vistas and quiet backcountry trails. Some two-person chairs. A carvers paradise essentially. 66 bucks. Hope this helps! Brad

Hi Brad and John,

Yes there is a great group of carvers that frequent Solitude, I count ten, but are lucky to get a 4 or 5 strong posse any one day. Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like you hit a very busy time at PCMR and Canyons. Presidents Day and the following week have the busiest of the year at Solitude also. Make sure you give us a heads up when you come back.

Ron

Michael "The Machine" Keller at work:

post-7680-141842387463_thumb.jpg

post-7680-141842387454_thumb.jpg

Hey John

Yes! Great day at Solitude. I learned a lot. Park City and Canyons were not really my speed. Too glitzy and crowded on days we were there. If we get out west again next year I'll contact you prior and maybe we can figure out an overlap when we could meet up at some hill. Think we flew over Mammoth Mountain on our connector home (via LAX) to Boston. We're talking about going to waterski/wakeboard camp in Florida February next year, somewhere on coast (Santa Rosa??) where we can get slalom/trick lessons in AM and surf in the afternoon. Hey, they're still board sports. Going boarding with a guy at Loon Mountain in NH on Wednesday. He carves and MAKES boards and has moved on to Skwals (Slalom waterskiing on snow, basically...). Ron: thanks for info about Solitude and the pics. Love that place... Brad