Note to New Members ×

Mammoth 2/23 - 2/24

breeseomatic

Well all the crap ass cheapo motels are booked in Mammoth this weekend and I am not paying over 200 bux a night, I am solo. But I did book a room in LeeVining so I am in. BTW I got out for a few photos around Mono south tufa last weekend, see here http://www.flickr.com/photos/2_stroke

Edited by 2stroke

Very nice Chris! That's pretty cool you have a NEX. I was debating between getting a MILC, probably a Nikon V2, and my cheapy D3000..But since I have a Nikon film SLR it just made more sense to stick with the same system. I just love the way Nikon's controls on their SLRs are arranged. And we use D90s at work so I figured it would be good to share the ergonomics and menus between my work and play cameras!

Very nice Chris! That's pretty cool you have a NEX. I was debating between getting a MILC, probably a Nikon V2, and my cheapy D3000..But since I have a Nikon film SLR it just made more sense to stick with the same system. I just love the way Nikon's controls on their SLRs are arranged. And we use D90s at work so I figured it would be good to share the ergonomics and menus between my work and play cameras!

Agree about keeping with the Nikon if you had any lenses. The NEX is actually my sons but I am liking it and still figuring it out and setting up the custom buttons. Not a dslr replacement, but it is very capable sharing the same sensor as my A580 and Nikon's D5000 & 7000. If I had to start over Think I would go the Nikon route as Sony is now all SLT with the translucent mirror and I dont want to give up even 1/3 stop, I like to get out and shoot in the dark! Check out my Milky way shots from Lake Mary last summer.

I didn't have any lenses (that the D3000 can drive) but since I already have a film SLR I love, I figured I may as well not orphan it.

I initially went Nikon so that I could share lenses with a good friend of mine, and I got my AF N80 for $50 in like new condition with a lens.

And I looked through about 5-6 pages of your flickr. All very nice.

I was always scared away from the offerings other than Canon or Nikon. They don't have the clout or market share or brand loyalty that Canon and Nikon have so they largely get by with gimmicks, like Sony's SLTs. I'm just not interested. I started on Olympus OM film cameras, so I'm really happy with just the basics.

Edited by KingCrimson

Sounds like a plan Joe. Ill be wearing my usual garb, same as my avatar, oh and possibly floundering on my new to me set up...

Thanx for the compliments Theo. Photography, another hobby that sucks time and money. Are you still in SD? or will you be back up this weekend?

Edited by 2stroke

Thanx for the compliments Theo. Photography, another hobby that sucks time and money. Are you still in SD? or will you be back up this weekend?

Photography doesn't HAVE to suck up money! That said, I would definitely pay to do my job. You saw first hand how awesome it is, I see a good softbooter tearing it up, I get to take a bunch of pictures of them, and then I hassle them to get on hardboots and end up with a friend! Can't complain about that, and it's happened a few times. I'm glad to see you're active in the forums now too!

You especially nailed the purples in the sky, which I understand is supposed to be hard with most digitals because of their red sensitivity. I did more digging today (lots of time on my hands) and it was an absolute pleasure. Your wife was right when the first thing she said to me was "Aren't we just a cool family??" :) I am beyond thankful that photography sucks so much time, I've really spent a lot of time reading about photography since breaking my leg and it's been keeping me sane. I'm also glad I was only into film before breaking my leg.. Lots of digital-specific stuff to learn!

Still down in San Diego, probably till like March 10th. It's not so bad being warm all the time and having my dad help me out, but Mammoth is Mammoth! I love it there. I definitely plan to live in ski towns for the rest of my life, maybe even Mammoth. I do like how it lacks the pretentiousness of a lot of other mega-resorts, it's got free and kickass public transit, a job that I love, a coaching position that I find incredibly rewarding (all except for 2 of our athletes, who are only on their second season riding, qualified for states!), and every morning it's like waking up on Christmas morning because I'm so excited to just be in Mammoth!

It's so funny because people here see me hobbling around on my crutches with surgical bandages on and look at me and obviously feel sorry for me..But it Mammoth complete strangers are like "Yoooo dude!! Did you snap it doing something dope??!?!" and that's one thing that immediately struck me as awesome living in Mammoth. There's a sense of brotherhood among locals regardless of age, race, etc. I've said it a hundred times but I really think it takes a certain kind of person to want to live full time in a town that is really 4 hours from ANYTHING, and you have to really love what you do and where you are to make the sacrifices it takes to live in Mammoth.

Well, I had a blast!

I left the house at 3:20am saturday. About 20min down the road my wife calls me, Im thinking "oh great what did I forget". Turns out I didnt forget anything but my kids who were having a sleep over heard me milling around in the morning and called 911 to report the burgler in the house. Sherrifs show up at the door...

Top of the grade after Bishop the wind was ripping, oh boy this is going to hurt. Pulled into stump parking @ ~8:30, dressed (warmly) and met Joe and Joseph at the Mill. On the mountain, the weather got progressively better thu the day. We got a bunch of runs in but all on 2, 1, and 12 I think. For me turning was a bit of a struggle on Saturday and I quickly realize that the boot arent going to do any deep carving. On Sunday, I got 4 runs in before 9:30 on nice firm groom before meeting the Joes again. I had a better day Sunday, a little more relaxed and having fun.

It was great hangin with you guys and I had some good laughs at dinner. Cant wait for the next one!