Note to New Members ×

New TD-2 user need advice, please!

eos4life

Hello, fellow TD-2 users!

I'm going to be out for the first time this weekend with my new Coiler 178 FC. I sold my Prior 169 4x4 to get my new stick since my 230 pds was a bit much for the 4x4. I wanted a board better targeted for East Coast Powder. I also bought a pair of TD-2 with the yellow ring and two 3 degre cant disk.

The shop where I bought the Prior had put on my Head Binding for me. I am let's say without much experience for binding set-up!

I have gone throught the 2 articles on TD binding set-up. But call me dum, I still unclear on a few points. So let me shell out my questions!

Question #1: So far, I have grasp the cant and lift concept. I will start with zero cant since I'm pretty much a straight leg kind of a guy. Or do you think I should try to use some cant angle right away (I'm using 55F anf 50R to start)?

Question #2: Stance width. I have read 0.6 x your inseam. Is that pants inseam or true measurement from the ground up. (I'm 6 feet tall and 230 pds)?

I have tried the tape measurer method and the results is 19.5 inches.

Question #3: How do we set-up that distance on the board with the center disk?

(Do we use the middle of the disk to set the stance width or do we use the shortest or the widest points of the disk?)

Question #4: On the board, how do we apply the same principle that we use for the binding?

I'm a bit confused for the inserts width range.How do we measure the range of possible width?

Sorry for the long winded message, life is short and I don't want to spend my limited amount of time on the slope playing with Allen key...

Thanks, Francois.

Sorry, can't answer #1, that is really personal preference.

For your height, 19 to 20 is probably a good stance width to start at, why not use the same setting that you had on the 4X4?

The stance width is measured from the center of the bindings.

The bindings should be equally spaced from the center of the insert pattern on the board, so for 20 inch stance, the front binding 10 inches from the center of the inserts, the rear the same. IF you ride in deep powder, you can slide them back a bit but I think there is offset already built in. Hope that helps.

Maybe Derf or one of the other regulars could help you in French if that's easier.

Thanks Chris!

The set-up on my Prior was without any cant on my Head binding at the time and the same angles. I know that some people think that a bit of inward cant would be good because it would help to keep your knee close together.

But to be honest, this is my second year on plates and I don't have a lot of experience. I'm learning slowly but I really enjoy my time on the slopes now that my boots are really comfortable. I am now using plates on my powder board. I just felt that my Flow boots weren't holding my heel down compare to my Head boots.

Thanks again for the info, Francois

Welcome fellow Montrealer! Let me guess: you got your board at Sharks?

Cant and lift are pretty much a personnal preference. I tried a combination of cant and lift when I started (Burton fixed cant), and now I ride flat and it is much more comfortable. I would like a little heel lift though, but no cant. My bondings, board and boots have enough flex to pull my knees together when I want to, so no need for cant.

P.S.: We are a couple of Montreal riders here(me, CarvCanada, bartron), so if you want to ride with us, just post here or email.

As far a cant goes, I like to spend some time on the carpet. I would start with 0 cant (bases turned to the same angle as your bindings). With your boot cants set in the neutral position, put them on and cinch them down then step into your bindings and see if you feel balanced over the board. If you feel like your wieght is more over one edge than the other, you can use boot cant to get more centered. Try rocking the board up on it's edges, if you can lift one edge easier than the other, again, use boot cant to adjust until you can lift both edges with the same amount of effort. If you can't get enough adjustment with boot cant then you can start playing with the bases. If nothing else, it's a way to occupy your time until the lifts open.

Now I get it!

Now that I'm reading the answers to my questions, it looks so obvious. I feel dummer that before... Anyway, looking silly ounce in a while never kiled anyone, otherwise I would have died a long time ago....

To answer your question Derf, I bought the Prior at Sharks last year and sold it to a member of the BOL forum in December. For the Coiler, I ordered it directly from Bruce V.. He is truly a gem to deal with. I'm really anxious to try the new toy.

I will surely give you a shout if I can spare a free night at St-Bruno. Bare in mind that ability as a carver would be far from your level. But sure I can use some advice.

Thanks for the offer, Francois.

Ride long and prosper!