Note to New Members ×

Raichle X Bone Width Problem

Guest mbeverly

Guest mbeverly

I would like to get some input on a problem I'm having with my Raichle X Bone bindings. I just picked up the bindings and when I put them on the board (Nidecker Custom GS) I noticed that the base of the binding is so large that the min. angle you can run without having the base plate hang off the board is 54. This is way too much for me.

With my old bindings (Nidecker Prolines) I can run a 48/52 without my boots hanging off and the base plates are not an issue.

Any suggestions or do I have to decide between getting a new board or new bindings?

:(

The shape of these bindings are a little weird. Depending on what stance width you like, and the inserts on your board, you might be able to turn the disk that mount to your board 90 degrees. So instead of being able to adjust the binding for/aft you can move it toe/heel, because these bindings only stick out on the heel side edge, so if you move them towards the toe edge you could run the angles you want.

On another note 54 degrees isn't that extreme of angles, especially on a G.S. race board. Most racers ride in the 54-60 degree range. How are you so sure that these anges are way too much for you? Try these angles with that binding and see first before dismissing it.

No experience with the X-bones, but similar issue with the Snowpro Race bindings (pretty long base plate) on my Nideckers. All the GS models (except the 177 - 19.5 cm) have an 18.8 cm waist and I was able to get away with 54 rear and about 58 front with no overhang on the base plates - VERY comfy angles for these boards (for me anyway) with size 26 Raichles. Echo Phil on trying out slightly steeper angles. I DON'T suggest getting rid of the board though - The Nideckers are a very nice ride. Good luck!

Guest mbeverly

Thanks for the input! I'll give the steeper angles another shot but I've got bad knees and something about those steeper angles hurts them. I'm also relatively new to carving so maybe I just need to suck it up until I give these angles a few more tries.

I'll also try to switch the insert around. My feet are small , US9, so hopefully that will give me some wriggle room. Yeah, I love the board and the step in convenience is great so I don't want to give up either.

thanks again!

The steeper angle shouldn't have any extra strain on you knees. If you are feeling twisting or tension in you knees, that usually means that your hips aren't in the proper position in relation to your angles. If your angles increase, but you keep your hips inline with your board you will feel tension. You should always try to stand in a natural postion no matter what your angles are. Like I said if you feel tension in your knees, you aren't aligned properly.

Guest mbeverly

Ahh, thanks. I was thinking that part of the problem is that my hips and shoulders are not facing as forward as they should because I do feel a twisting in my knees sometimes. When I get into the really steep / icy stuff I notice I start to ride like I'm in softboots. I'm going to work on my form next time I go out and see how the knees feel.

The only time you will feel some strain with higher angles is when you sit on the snow. In this case, dod what I do: don't sit! But with higher angles, you may even feel less strain on the knees because with higher angles and the same stance, theoretically, you knees are the same distance apart, but practically, they feel closer. It would take a while to explain and it is late, but with the way the leg articulations are made, they feel closer.