Note to New Members ×

Success with my "new" equiptment!

ezzywave

Made it up to Meadows Thursday evening to test out my "new to me" set-up in somewhat decent snow. 'John Deere' supplied me with some Deeluxe Indys and 'oldsnowboards.com' sold me some TD3's and BTS. I was going to use my old Mistral Sonic 167, BUT oldsnowboards.com wouldn't/couldn't let me commit such a heinous crime and insisted I take one his, shall I say, many extra carving boards (Donek (172?)) to demo. I figured he is either insane, to let me take it having just met him an hour before, or a very shrewd businessman, knowing that I would not return the board to him, but bring cash instead. He must be shrewd, because I will be bringing him the cash.

Back to the mountain. I was there on Friday evening for our company's ski (drinking) trip. Horrible snow for carving, but I was able to get a bunch of good turns in and tune in a few boot/binding things before getting to the real reason for the trip.

Thursday evening was much better snow. I was on new boot-bindings-board and it took me a few runs to get any kind of feel and confidence. Then it became very apparent that I should have got modern gear years ago. First of all the boots are a near perfect fit, and with the BTS adjusted properly, grabs my shin better than I thought possible. The boot-binding interface is way, way stronger and more linear feeling than my old burtons. The board seems to carve a slightly smaller radius (at any given lean angle) than the Mistral.

Overall impression of new set-up vs. old? Extremely more confidence inspiring! The old gear always felt that it wanted to come out of the carve if you didn't keep a huge amount of muscle and concentration up. And, that rolling into the carve, the carve wouldn't always start when I would expect it to. And my feet don't hurt. And it takes less effort.

BTW, my son followed me for a run with a helmet cam and got some very shaky video. I will try to post it this afternoon. I am looking forward to getting some advice and being told what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for listening to me ramble and I hope to meet you carvers soon...

Looking good! If that is you on the motorcycle in the avatar, I'm sure you know about riding an edge! In the video you looked relaxed, happy, and in control! All good things! :D

Your turn shape looks good and over time you'll find as your confidence grows you'll not only lay it over more, you'll also be able to vary your turn shape and deal with the rebound from the board.

One thing I feel is common to most beginners is getting the stance aligned. Make sure you keep your knees, hips, and shoulders over your feet. Keep driving your back hip forward especially on the heel side. Drop into the turn my driving your front hip down to the snow on the heel side instead of making a move like sitting in a chair. Much easier to demonstrate than explain!

See if you can hook up with any off the locals there... It will help a ton to ride with others!

About me... I am a 41 year old single mom living in western Montana. My boyfriend, also a member on here, is from the Portland area and know Bryan well. I haven't met him in person yet, but he does sound like a great guy! In fact, my board of choice right now also came from his collection! Thanks again, Bryan!

I first got on a snowboard in 1985. Started teaching skiing and later snowboarding in 1990 when I was in college and aside from two seasons off from teaching (baby related!), I have been teaching ever since.... Now, I mostly teach skiing and I'll be dragging my but out of bed here soon and heading out to the mountain!

One for bit of advice... Have you ever thought about getting a helmet? :ices_ange

Anyway, hope you get time for more days on the hill soon, looks like you are hooked!

Hey Fred, looking good dude!!

Let's see if we can get in a day of riding together with Tinkler and some of the Mt Hood Meadows alpine guys. Bryan

http://www.alpinecarving.com/tmtd2/ This is what we were talking about on the phone. (couldn't find your email real fast so I posted it here)

Thanks for the kind words Kathy! Please try to keep Ed in good shape for a trip to Mt Bachelor soon?? :)

Kinpa

"One thing I feel is common to most beginners is getting the stance aligned. Make sure you keep your knees, hips, and shoulders over your feet. Keep driving your back hip forward especially on the heel side. Drop into the turn my driving your front hip down to the snow on the heel side instead of making a move like sitting in a chair. Much easier to demonstrate than explain!"

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to print and tape the above into my goggles! I have never rode with another hardbooter and don't know what I'm doing right or wrong. Hopefully Bryon will be able to fix my errors!

Helmet? Yeah, I keep meaning to get one. Really is stupid on my part, since I ridr bike with approx. 2k$ worth of protective gear.

Fred