Note to New Members ×

Moving up to bigger races

NSSage

Ok so I have been racing USASA for a wile and its a lot of fun but it can only take you so far and I want to move up to something bigger where I can progress to bigger races someday (world cup or whatever else) but I don't know how or even where the races are held. I want to do some USSA FIS stuff (i guess thats what I would be doing) but I don't know how to get started or how it works. so if anybody could help me out that would be great!

You should be racing open class at USASA, if you're young, USASA has a junior national team which is a great stepping stone with trips to junior world championships. There is a FIS race at Squaw Valley this year in February, otherwise you will have to travel to get to the handfull of FIS races in North America each season. Here's a link to the FIS site and alpine race calendar.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/disciplines/snowboard/fiscalendar.html?place_search=&seasoncode_search=2013&sector_search=SB&date_search=&gender_search=&category_search=&codex_search=&nation_search=&disciplinecode_search=PGS%2C+PSL&search=Search&limit=20&date_from=today

If you're serious about moving up and getting to a world cup level you should consider training with the Steamboat team.

sswsc.org

Edited by bigwavedave

You should be racing open class at USASA, if you're young, USASA has a junior national team which is a great stepping stone with trips to junior world championships. There is a FIS race at Squaw Valley this year in February, otherwise you will have to travel to get to the handfull of FIS races in North America each season. Here's a link to the FIS site and alpine race calendar.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/disciplines/snowboard/fiscalendar.html?place_search=&seasoncode_search=2013&sector_search=SB&date_search=&gender_search=&category_search=&codex_search=&nation_search=&disciplinecode_search=PGS%2C+PSL&search=Search&limit=20&date_from=today

Okay cool I race nationally in USASA in the youth division.

If you're serious about moving up and getting to a world cup level you should consider training with the Steamboat team.

sswsc.org

Okay, I don't live in steamboat though I am in California

Racing in open class at nationals this year might give you a good feel for bigger races and what's needed to be competitive in FIS and RTTC events. I remember my first year racing I entered open so I would be in competition with a much older friend of mine. I qualified for Nationals, posted on this forum asking if it was worthwhile to go and got a huge amount of encouragement. My first run on the practice day I was lined up behind AJ Muss, a Steamboat rider my age. I watched his run and was completely flabbergasted. I felt like I had accidentally entered myself into the Olympics. Open class is really a whole different beast, it was almost startling looking at the starting list and seeing names like Mike Trapp, Mort Nyberg, and Alexa Loo. Its not like age group racing where its a few dozen kids that won their regional events, its riders that kick ass.

As far as living in a different state being a barrier to training- that's just not the attitude World Cup riders have. Tyler Jewel lived in San Diego and worked at Home Depot, and as the story goes he spent time living in either his car or a tent (I can't remember) in order to train in Steamboat.

Adam Cassanova and Thedo Remmenelink (that's probably butchered, I never can remember how to spell it) seem to have this inate ability to pump out riders that dominate the field, and if you're really serious about racing and moving up the ranks, the Steamboat team is something you really need to consider.

Yeah I was thinking about open class this year. I just really don't want to ride open for slopestyle and rail jams and BX haha. But that's crazy I remember watching them last year and they were amazing!.

I don't consider living in big bear to be a barrier it's just that being 16 I don't have the option to get on that team. But it is definitly something I am considering when I turn 18. I am just focusing on improving my skills here and when I feel that I am ready I can move on. Thanks for the help man I appreciate it