Note to New Members ×

New option for boots

wallstrum

Hello everyone - It's taken a little while to come to fruition, but i've found another option for boots. Last year, I started researching using AT boots on my board because I have a daughter who's now 3.5 years old and *loving* skiing. I didn't want to have to carry 2 sets of boots in addition to already having to haul skis and a board, plus my daughter and all of her stuff too, so AT/ski boots seemed like a way to cut down on the amount of gear I would need. I came across an OLD thread by yyxcanuck (http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?14753-TD2-A-T-boot-option&p=130271#post130271) which showed what looked picture of a Deeluxe snowboard boot with a ski boot sole. Reaching out to Deeluxe, I was told that the new iteration of those boots in had seen were coming out for this year. Behold the First Degree Stormtrooper boots :) : http://www.firstdegreeboots.com/boots.cfm. They're made by Deeluxe under a partnership with Icelantic Skis. I got the ST2's (stiffer), and their sole-length is exactly the same as the Head Stratos Pros I have been using. So far, I've only made it out one day so I can't really offer any constructive feedback, but I do like them so far. Hope this helps anyone out there looking to straddle the lines like I am.

wally

I was thinking of using dynafit TLT5... Bloody light, has got fairly soft flex for snowboarding if hard tongue is not used, sole length is even smaller than hardboots one size smaller (my 25.5 tlt5 has smaller footprint than head/deeluxe 24.5). People rave about the boots for splitboarding, too.

The only problem is that those AT boots need special bindings for the skis and there is no lean adjuster, although I've heard new ones (12-13) come out with adjustable lean position, albeit limited.

Edited by leeho730

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey john - i've only been able to get out on them twice this season so far, but i do like them. they're comfortable, and i *love* the convenience of being able to switch between my board and skis without having to change boots. i'm far from a hardcore skier (hadn't skied for ~20 years before last season), so i can't speak to how well they'd do on the steeps or bumps but they do what i need them to. these boots are a 27.5 (which is the same size as the head stratos pro's i had before) and they have a 299mm sole length (which is also *exactly* the same as my stratos pro's - i measured them both to make sure). i believe my current board has a 21cm width, and i'm running 50 rear and 55 front for my angles. i haven't noticed any boot drag running them like that. hope this helps!

wally

This is a great option. I've had 4 days already this year that I skied with my 3 year old then switched to boarding. My wife might kill me though if I buy yet another pair of boots.

Would these take a BTS?

Would I really need special AT bindings?

since these are basically deeluxe boots, i'd imagine that you could install bts (at least the bomber version as talked about here: http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/BTS-kit_p_106.html). i don't think you need AT bindings - i just borrowed a random pair of downhill skis from a friend and fit the bindings that came on them to my boots; it worked great!

wally