Note to New Members ×

Binding Question

• 2 weeks later...

Don't remember if I explained I was looking to deck out my splitty. I know Bomber made a sidewinder for Voile tracks and heard it has decent lateral flex. I was curious how the Voile Mtn Plates compare. $300 vs. $55 probably says a lot... but I'd like to hear from anyone who has ridden both, or has an opinion on either.

For what it's worth - I've always rode Burton.. love 'em. When I was first starting out in hard boots I bought some snowpros and ended up setting them on a shelf for like 5 years b/c they felt too stiff. Pulled them out again this last season, and now I'm totally sold for in-bounds stuff. Groomers or Pow.. Damn nice binding. (I normally ride a 68 megalite by the way - 5'7")

Don't remember if I explained I was looking to deck out my splitty. I know Bomber made a sidewinder for Voile tracks and heard it has decent lateral flex. I was curious how the Voile Mtn Plates compare. $300 vs. $55 probably says a lot... but I'd like to hear from anyone who has ridden both, or has an opinion on either.

For what it's worth - I've always rode Burton.. love 'em. When I was first starting out in hard boots I bought some snowpros and ended up setting them on a shelf for like 5 years b/c they felt too stiff. Pulled them out again this last season, and now I'm totally sold for in-bounds stuff. Groomers or Pow.. Damn nice binding. (I normally ride a 68 megalite by the way - 5'7")

The TD3 Sidewinders are burly and super high quality CNC. Voile Mtn Plates are lightweight plastic plates, they do NOT come anywhere close to the quality.

About one sixth the price too. TD3 SW splitboard bindings are sold out currently. More in November according to Fin.

The TD3 Sidewinders are burly and super high quality CNC. Voile Mtn Plates are lightweight plastic plates, they do NOT come anywhere close to the quality.

About one sixth the price too. TD3 SW splitboard bindings are sold out currently. More in November according to Fin.

I am intrested in the position of the binding and the cant / lift options. I cannt (yet) run such an extreme angle on a real tight waisted board and get a bit of toe / heal drag.

In high school ran gates on the first gen burton plates + boots. I am old now (40) and back into the sport last year after a few years off. Had a mean highside on a mototcycle and have fresh metal in my shin. Long story. But old metal wrapped around the out side + screws and killed in hard boots on a toe side turn. New metal is a straight rod down shin and I can ride again.

But i am back!

Edited by Vin

I am intrested in the position of the binding and the cant / lift options. I cannt (yet) run such an extreme angle and get a bit of toe / heat drag.

In high school ran gates on the first gen burton plates + boots. I am old now (40) and back into the sport last year after a few years off. Had a mean highside on a mototcycle and have fresh metal in my shin. Long story. But old metal wrapped around the out side + screws and killed in hard boots on a toe side turn. New metal is a straight rod down shin and I can ride again.

Back to exploring my set up.....

Vin, you are NOT old around here :) I have 15 years on you and allot more metal. High energy "Tib Fib" = 15" Nail , Broken back 3 places, "Box o Rocks" wrist/ arm with "T" plate and seven screws. Second time for the left arm. Shall I go on? Read, then go out and ride!!! Enjoy. Bryan

Super sorry about the metal. Sucks - but is not unsurmountable. I'm 46 and my life goal is to be the oldest dude rockin' it! BTW - my left rib-cage has ripped away from my sternum - looks like you might imagine. That was a tree while racing first run at Lost Trail - MT on a killer powder day. Hurt twice if you catch my drift.

Anyway... I hear you about the plates and angles. Without knowing much about your situation, I'd imagine that angling forward would be helpful for you - unless you are fighting it. Sometimes a guy can feel hesitant in such an aggressive stanch. My advice.. Get Agressive. Don't be stupid, but believe in yourself, your board and your ability to carve it up, Bro. Best of luck - BTW.

Oh... and I have a pair of SnowPros that are pretty stiff, but have great options for canting which I'd also guess might help you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Super sorry about the metal. Sucks - but is not unsurmountable. I'm 46 and my life goal is to be the oldest dude rockin' it! BTW - my left rib-cage has ripped away from my sternum - looks like you might imagine. That was a tree while racing first run at Lost Trail - MT on a killer powder day. Hurt twice if you catch my drift.

Anyway... I hear you about the plates and angles. Without knowing much about your situation, I'd imagine that angling forward would be helpful for you - unless you are fighting it. Sometimes a guy can feel hesitant in such an aggressive stanch. My advice.. Get Agressive. Don't be stupid, but believe in yourself, your board and your ability to carve it up, Bro. Best of luck - BTW.

Oh... and I have a pair of SnowPros that are pretty stiff, but have great options for canting which I'd also guess might help you.

sidewinders vs Catek?? thoughts??

Paolo wrote:

i have the upz boot but i read from thor Wint. review about some problem with back plate.

do you have some info about this problem? Any solution?

Paolo, I think what Thor meant is this: With UPZ boots, the ledge on heel is basically under your foot. That makes it a bit harder for some people to get the ledge into the binding bail. With some bindings it is a bit harder than with others. It's not really a problem with function. It just takes some getting used to.

The first time I rode my UPZs, I fell over when I was getting OUT of the binding for the lift: Once the heel ledge was under the bail, it wanted to stay there and would not come out as easily as with, say, a Deeluxe boot.

But as I said: It's probably not a *real* problem. Go ahead and give Robert from Hang Loose some business!