Note to New Members ×

Adjusting Burton rat trap down to use with RC-10

ngufra

I just got a brand new pair of RC-10, my old (about 18 years old) Rossignol being broken.

Size is 26.

I tried to fit it on my board (a Burton PJ-56) which has the Burton Rat Trap teal and purple bindings.

The front foot works fine, but the rear does not.

The shoes are the same size left and right (but shorter than the rossignol were), but the bindings are not!

The bonding with the teal strap has the hooks located on the inside of the bindings (close to the center) while the rear foot (purple) has the hooks on the outside (away from the center) which makes its shortest size about 2 cm longer that the front binding.

Anybody would have some hints on how to modify it so the boots would fit on the binding?

My other board is a Morrow Indy 160 which i never attempted to ride seriously, i was always going back to my PJ. i could try to use that one. I was also trying to move the bindings from the morrow to the PJ but the snowpro bidings on the morrow are 4x4 and the Burton is 3D, so i would need some snowpro 3D discs. do these exist and anyone know where to get them from?

Thanks

-Francois

Welcome to Bomber!!!

Burton Rat Trap teal and purple bindings.
Sound like "Variplate" bindings. Not official "Rat Trap" bindings. FYI.

No 3D Snow Pro center plates.

Suggest Catek OS1 with combo base plates, they can be had for around 150$ or so.

Suggest spending some more time to research the wealth of info here on BOL forum.

Then buying a newer used board and bindings. Hang the PJ on the wall and perhaps ride it from time to time for memories?

Enjoy, Bryan

It's not my first board, it's only about 21 years old i think (burton serial number is 295)!

My first board was a Kemper with some Seabright prototypes bindings. all aluminum, infinitely adjustable 360degrees and even analog cant angle. But it was before 4x4 or 3D so you had to drill the board. a but heavy and a little high over the board.

Burton "Variplates"

With size 26M I am guessing you are pretty light (weight). This will help prevent breakage.

HOWEVER. Time to pick up some nice burly bindings to go with those nice boots.

F2 offers more flex . So does the TD2 Sidewinders, although quite costly.

Not nearly as much as a broken leg and surgery :(

It almost looks to me like you could disassemble the purple one and reassemble to be configured like the teal. But overall I think you'd be better off with more modern equipment. As we approach the new season there have been a barrage of ads with people selling their old gear, you could probably pick up a nice rig that is a few seasons old for a good price.

Thanks for your advice guys. I appreciate it a lot.

I just spent over $400 on boots (i got the past season ones); That's for my birthday and christmas according to my wife.

If i get some new bindings, it may not be that much more expensive to get a new 4x4 board instead and to fit the snowpro i have that work with my boots.

The burton is about 20 years old (when they did not know how to make multi core hence the asymetrical design), the morrow is about 12 years I would say. What board would you recommend that would be an improvement without costing $800 ?

Also: the new boots fit well lengthwise but the instep is a little tight. any advice? will it improve with time when the liner compresses?

Thanks

The multicore thing isn't why modern boards are symmetrical. Jack wrote an article on the subject over 15 years ago, maybe have a read. Money-wise, you might well be better off with a new(er) board and using the snowpros. It's not hard at all to find a good used board here for $400 or less. Watch the for sale forum, or post in wanted with what you are interested in. If you let people know what your weight, riding style, experience and preferred terrain I'm sure some of the gear-heads can point you in the right direction.

Plenty of BOL members in California. Check out the ride board for those who ride near you. I am certain you can find a good substitute for a couple hundred dollars. Alpine members near you will likely have a few boards and happy to loan you one.

Don't give up so easy :)

Tell your kids to wash cars and mow lawns so Dad can have some fun too!!! Sell some of the wifes shoes and hand bags , she won't notice a couple missing :D:D

Is the Morrow Indy a bad board or was i just biased not wanting to like it ?

I did find quite a few reviews and they were not too favorable.

or maybe it's too long for me (1.60 compared to my PJ 5.6 (1.56 m) (and i think they don't measure from the same place))

Have boards improved a lot in the last 10 years?

I am 140 pounds, 5'8". i have been riding for over 20 years but not every year and recently only maybe two weekends to 1 week per year.

I started in France when a snowboard was very similar to a monoski (same width in the middle as in the ends) making turns very difficult especially when you learn on your own, as instructors did not do snowboards.

I learned the hard way: you move your body this way, you fall it hurts. try again differently!

My style is to stay low, move my body the right way so i do the least effort possible and let the board do the work in the curve. Make nice smooth curves that are not too ugly to watch. Try to cut the snow, not to push it down.

I live in Albany, CA so we go to Tahoe. I used to go to Heavenly but with 3 kids, their lift tickets is out of my league now and we go to north tahoe, Mont Rose or Tahoe Donner with the kids.

an old video of 2007 is on youtube.

<dl><dd>

</dd></dl>If you have advice on what board i would like, I'd be delighted to hear from you.