Note to New Members ×

Camber on used board

srodeo

What is considered not enough Camber on a board?

Does some brands have significantly less camber to start with?

I am looking at Burton Factory Prime 173 with 20cm waist but it only has 3/8" of camber.

I bought a Volkl 178 with 19cm waist from member here and it has 3/4" camber.

I was wondering if 173 is worth buying.

I was thinking 178 may be too big for me since i am new to hard boots.

Which brings the question am i going to notice 5cm difference?

Thanks

not sure on the camber, but I do not think the 178 is really too big, Fin saw what I was riding at ECES and started me on a Prior FLC 177, and it went fine. he said he wanted to make sure I rode something a bit bigger than I was on in soft boots. You are bigger than me, and have that 170 Saber now, so I would assume it would probably work out about the same for you. I bought a Coiler VSR 180, and only rode it a little bit, but no problem with it at all.

It is rather tight SCR and soft flex that make a good learning board, rather then length. Yes, shorter is easier to flick around in emergency, but from just carving aspect, it doesn't matter.

That Volkl would turn tighter then FP and might be softer too, depending on how "tired" is the FP. Since you already have the 178, why not look for a slalom or high 160s all-mountain carver, if you really must have another board already?

Volkl i got is racetiger. I was going to sell it. I dont think i need two boards now. I think both are pretty stiff board and thought shorter would be softer.

But it sounds like Volkl is not too far out from what i should be riding. I will stick with it.

I think it was more in my head. It looks so much longer compared to my softboot board. I think narrow width makes it look a longer than it actually is.

Thanks

Off topic, BlueB How is the condition in Vancouver area?

Do you think it will still be good in weeks? (not turn into slush)?

Edited by srodeo

You never know with Vancouver, as it is coastal. The snow base is huge right now, but you never know when it might turn to the rains at the resort ellevation.

Afternoon slush hardly can be avoided in April, just about anywhere.

Renntigers are nice boards.

Burton FP 173 in which colour/model year?

It is a very different board from the RT 178.

IMHO It is softer and it has a more easy and smooth riding.

3/8" is more or less 1 cm?

When it was new more or less it was the same, if you are a new carver maybe you could enjoy much a tired board, it also depends on the price that is asked for it.

I agree with BlueB that you already have a GS board so go for a slalom one.