Note to New Members ×

Salter's Ski Shop Bootfitting PA

BXFR70

I wanted to see if anyone had experience with this shop?

I have read good things online in other forums, and am having some bootfitting issues I need worked out. Also, there was a writeup in one of the ski magazines awhile back.

thanks in advance for responses.

I haven't gotten any boot fitting from them but i've been in the shop. I don't know if they do boot fitting.

they have very little selection of skis and boards. Most to cater to beginners and kids so i am not sure if they are the best choice.

Wicks ski shop in downingtown exton area were doing boot fitting when i was in there. But most of the kids that work there had no clue about what they were selling (they were friendly tho). Luckily boot fitting was done by older guy. It look like they had alot of skis and wall full of superfeet so obviously they care about foot beds and boot fitting etc (they also had one of those oven thing for custom foot beds). I ask about it and he said it's about $100 for custom molded foot bed.

Buckmans is another place that may be ok if you get the right person. Usually each store has one person that knows their stuff. Overall their staff seems to be better trained than other stores also.

What issues are you having with your boots? Did you finally get hard boots set up?

this is for my hardboots, but in the mean time between posting the thread and now, I have come to the conclusion that they are technically too big, but I do not have a Deeluxe foot shape.

I demoed 325's at ECES and I was told the 700's would fit the same, so I ordered some 700's.

the whole time I have had heel lift, along with some heel pain, and the toes/forefoot are not very wide.

I am going to try some UPZ boots, they seem to have a better foot shape for me. I have a narrow heel with normal or slightly wide forefoot.

I knew Deeluxe were not really for me, but the 325's I demoed worked pretty well so I figured if the 700's fit the same, then they would be fine.

I finally have my soft boots and bindings very dialed in, nothing to play with there, very comfortable.

did you get to ride the Saber? how was it?

Maybe 325 being softer, it did not bother you as much. With stiffer boots you need more precise fit.

try some of these pads

http://www.tognar.com/boot-fitting-pads-custom-shapes-sheets-1-8-foam/

http://www.tognar.com/ski-boot-heel-lifts-and-wedges-pair/

http://www.tognar.com/bontex-insole-shims/

I think this place is out of philly

http://www.shredsoles.com/shop/jbar/

You can make your boots fit pretty good as long as you are within 1/2 to 3/4 size.

I find I never get a good fit anyways from boots off the shelf (I have wide toe box and narrow heel).

C or L pads with ankle wrap will help you with heel lift.. and use the shims or insoles if the boots are too big overall (or top of the foot pads if it works with your liner).

It's only couple of bucks and worth a try. Get some double sided tape (not so sticky ones) also so you can try moving the pads around to find the right spot.

Then use the tape it comes with the pads. It takes couple of tries.

I rode the Saber for two days before snow turned crap. It was good. Very damp (I havent ridden any metal board so this was the dampest of all the board i've ridden). Held edge well. Little soft between the binding (hopely i'll lose some weight and it will fix it self). Overall I like it. I just need to find binding to go well with this board. What binding have you tried with it?

What board did you end up getting?

Edited by srodeo

Maybe 325 being softer, it did not bother you as much. With stiffer boots you need more precise fit.

try some of these pads

http://www.tognar.com/boot-fitting-pads-custom-shapes-sheets-1-8-foam/

http://www.tognar.com/ski-boot-heel-lifts-and-wedges-pair/

http://www.tognar.com/bontex-insole-shims/

I think this place is out of philly

http://www.shredsoles.com/shop/jbar/

You can make your boots fit pretty good as long as you are within 1/2 to 3/4 size.

I find I never get a good fit anyways from boots off the shelf (I have wide toe box and narrow heel).

C or L pads with ankle wrap will help you with heel lift.. and use the shims or insoles if the boots are too big overall (or top of the foot pads if it works with your liner).

It's only couple of bucks and worth a try. Get some double sided tape (not so sticky ones) also so you can try moving the pads around to find the right spot.

Then use the tape it comes with the pads. It takes couple of tries.

I rode the Saber for two days before snow turned crap. It was good. Very damp (I havent ridden any metal board so this was the dampest of all the board i've ridden). Held edge well. Little soft between the binding (hopely i'll lose some weight and it will fix it self). Overall I like it. I just need to find binding to go well with this board. What binding have you tried with it?

What board did you end up getting?

I have done some foam around ankle, it helps some, just not enough.

I got some foam from AC Moore, they have foam thats about half as thick as "bootfitting" foam and is very similar, i put 2 sheets together, and it works very well.

also, around my shins is not very tight on the boots. the toes are tight though and the forefoot. my problem I think lies that I have a fairly high instep, with a narrow heel and narrow lower leg, so I just think I do not really work well with these boots, not really sure why the 325's were decent, may be because they were softer, but they did not seem a ton softer, somewhat, but not considerably.

regarding the bindings for the saber, I used it with 08-09 Burton C60's then I used Salomon Calibers, they were not very stiff, I also used a plate with Salomon Calibers, then again a plate with the C60's.

this year, I used 05-06 C60's with the powerplates from Bomber. I like the older C60s the best, I replaced the ankle straps with burton "ultra straps", this along with Malamutes that I have done some foam for heel lift is working really well for me.

I bought a used Coiler VSR 180 for hardboots, I started off riding a Prior FLC 177 and also rode a Donek Metal AX, I did not like the AX as much, I like the Coiler better than both.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this one. BTW Salter's is closed for summer. Reopen in Oct

PENNSYLVANIA

Cantman

Billy Kaplan

Performance Pedorthics, Inc.

1753 Bridgetown Pike

Feasterville Pa 18966

215 760 8226

800 283 2370

cantman@speakeasy.net

http://www.epicski.com/a/boot-fitters-on-epicski

There seems to be a guy in NJ also. Prob same distance from you.

NEW JERSEY

johnnyatomic

John Mihlik

404 Warren Street

Scotch Plains, NJ 07076

johnnyatomic9@hotmail.com

Artisan Orthotics and Prosthetics

Board Certified Pedorthist

Edited by srodeo

thanks I had heard of Billy Kaplan, but the shop he used to work at closed.

Also, some related information on all of the bootfitting stuff, I deleted another thread, but here is a brief summary:

I demoed 325's at ECES, in a size 26, they were pretty good, the top 2 buckles were not as tight as I wanted, but figured they could be moved over pretty easily. I was told the 700's would fit the same as 325's so I ordered a set in 26, the 26 has proved to be too big, but my foot shape just does not work with Deeluxe it seems, my forefoot is too wide and higher volume for them, my heel and ankle is not very high volume so heel lift is a concern. I will be selling these, barely used..

I had Dan send me a set of 25.5 UPZ RC-10's, the RC-10 fit great in every area, except the instep. they will not accommodate my higher instep. the length, width, heel width/hold were great, but my foot was pushing the tongue up out of the liner, then once I tightened the boot, it just puts lots of pressure on my instep, I have had this problem with soft boots. so, the UPZ will be going back, I am running out of options at this point.

I have kind of been advised by a few people to not waste my time with the Heads.

I most likely will be ending up in a pair of Dalbello Boss ski boots, 3 piece, 103 mm last width, basically a wide width of the Krypton, I have tried the Voodoo in a store, they felt great, and fit really well, also it was absolutely no problem flexing them, maybe too easily for just being in a store. I will probably choose the Boss over Voodoo as the Voodoo has a hard buckle at the very top, I think the stock strap or a booster strap would be a better option than the buckle. Also, the flex was much smoother than any of the snowboard boots I have tried thus far. I have talked to Billy Kaplan, who said it will be no problem to modify these to flex a little more and maybe have a little more forward lean.

what brought me to ski boots was a lack of snowboard options, but I also tried on 4 different ski boots all with a 102mm +/- last, and all fit fine, with no problems, and I had remembered through renting skis and when I used to ski a little, that I never had a ski boot problem.

I also felt like the Deeluxe with blue BTS with a lot of preload were too soft, I know I can change to red springs, but I am not keeping the boots anyway, the deeluxe with stock lean mechanism were a lot stiffer, but had a very short range of motion, the Voodoos had a greater smoother range, that ramped up more, it did not feel as much of a hard stop. The UPZ are stiffer than both I would say with the stock mechanism I never bothered to fool with the springs.

Dalbello Voodoo also fit me well. Also check out Full Tilt boots if you haven't already. They are pretty much same as Raichle Flexon boots.

I think you can buy softer or stiffer tongue to get make boots stiffer or softer. I think Full Tilts have higher instep than Dalbello when you get wider ones (it did not fit me well).