Note to New Members ×

Salt Lake City Carvers:Where to go???

markp

Wow. You guys must rock! I just looked at the trail maps of all the different areas. Looks like carvers paradise.

I'm going to be down there on Dec. 30th for family and should be able to get three days in. What would you guys recommend for the right areas? Which runs should I scope out?

I'd sure appreciate some help. Or if you're riding one day, maybe I could tag along for afew runs. I'd do the same if anyone wants to try N. Idaho or S. BC. Canada. Thanks;)

i'm headed out there on jan 1... don't know much about the area, but if you're riding park city.. or somewhere else on jan 2.. let me know... e-mail me if you want my cell number cause i dunno if i'll have internet access out there.

also, if you're flying(arriving in the morning or sometime when you still have time to get to park city or deer valley that day), i guess there's some kind of deal where if you register with park city beforehand and bring your boarding pass you get a free ticket for the rest of the day.

snowbird is a steep, techy place with lift lines during XMAS week that will pin your ears back even by east coast standards.

park city or the canyons would be best. just keep in mind that its so soft out there this time of year that you really need snow shoes just to be able to walk safely on slopes that have been just freshly groomed (warm salt lake water = lake effect snow every night). so choose a board accordingly.

do rent 4-wheel drive if you plan on Powder Mountain, Brighton, Solitude, Alta, Snowbird. The front wheel drive rental cars without snow tires barely make it up (plus its illegal).

sic

Lots of snow and every resort (Salt Lake/PC/Ogden areas anyway) is open. We haven't had any new snow for almost two weeks now, but there's adequate base pretty much everywhere. A lot of places have been making it as well. Was up riding Powder Mt. over the weekend and it's pretty packed on the trails right now (colder temps, no new snow) - uh, no snowshoes required. Probably head up to Snowbasin for an afternoon session today (BTW, Strawberry opened over the weekend). Lots of fog in the valleys last few days

Lift lines: You go any weekend, you're gonna have some lines anywhere you go (NOT just Snowbird) - DON'T go on a demo day!!

Big/Little Cottonwood Canyon driving: Unless you are driving up right in the middle of a HEAVY dump, you can access either canyon with a standard front-wheel drive car. Those canyons are pretty well maintained - plows run regularly during moderate/heavy snowfall. Yeah, it says "4 wheel drive/snow tires required ...", but most of the time I'm driving my little '96 Saturn SL1 to get to the hill. If you have access to 4WD, go for it! Not supposed to get any significant snowfall for a while - so says the forecast (of course that could change in a day or two??).

Several days at Brighton this season already and it's been fun there - always a good choice. Some good stuff off of Great Western and Millicent. Solitude is usually less crowded (but the weekend thing applies there as well).

Have not been to PC this season (yet), so maybe Phil or someone else local there could give you the heads-up on that one.