Note to New Members ×

First day on an alpine setup

Guest Thomas_S

Guest Thomas_S

Well, I managed to get up to Seven Springs today. Pretty good crowd wise. Conditions on North Face got steadily worse. Of course no one cares about that part! So, my impressions:

Sticking to a few beginner trails, I was going of the Norm I and II. Amazing. The Oxy turned on a dime. Very cool. The only bad thing was I had to skid out of the turns coming to a banked turn towards Wagner due to a ton of Tiny Tots kids that I didn't want to hit. Other than that, I really didn't skid any turns much.

There's no doubt that I'm just starting on this type of riding. I realize I can't go back to the steeps yet until I master this type of riding. Yet, in all honesty, I think it's a great trade-off for the time being. I was really able to turn, just by looking where I wanted to go. Back on my old soft-boot setup, I'd have to coax it a bit. It felt as though my board was really connected to my body. Amazing.

I just wish that people were more responsible on the slopes though, along with open-minded. I mean come on, what kind of person asks why anyone would want to "ride on that fluffy(powder)stuff? Only a retard would..." Although the same person later said on the lift "Dude, like, uh, why don't you get a totally, like, real snowboard." To which I said "I could ask you the same question." He then proceeded to wipe out half the people on the lift when he got off(6 person high-speed). Rather funny...

All in all, it was a great experience, Can't wait to get back out there...

Thanks to everyone who helped me this far. I'm almost 15 in a couple of weeks, and I just wish more people tried this type of riding...

Most would probably enjoy it...

Thanks again!

Sounds like you are on your way to getting the proper carving technique down. Keep it up and you will be on the steeps in no time, but as you mentioned, where you ae now is a good trade off. Carving to most is more about technique than speed. You can get some "G" forces going at lower speeds too! With regards to the person who made comments to you, I find that when someone interjects their comment with "dude" or "like", they generally don't have anything of a positive or constructive nature to say. Yes, I'm making assumptions, but all that person likely knows about snowboarding is what they read in a magazine, or played on a Sony Play Station and just thinks boarding in general is as easy as buying a setup and learning how to huck big airs in a day. Freestyle is what is in the mainstream and is popular, so no sense bucking conformity in his eyes. If you have already learned at your age to blow off comments like that while keeping a cool head, you're alot further ahead in life than some adults that I know. You might want to read the thread titled "Heard in the lift line 2004/2005" for other colorful comments to expect while on a carving board. Usually I just nod and agree, (Like, whatever you say DUDE!), keep my comments to a minimum, and laugh to myself.