Note to New Members ×

remolding toe section of thermo liners

rikytheripster

I need to re-mold the toe section of the liner in my raichle sb 324's. I need to make more of a toe box to create some more space as last seasons exploits led to a crushed toe nail. Just thinking of using thick neoprene sheath over toes. However i don't want to pay to get the whole liner remolded i only need a bit more expansion at the toes.

My question is can this be done at home?

was thinking could pour boiling water over the toe section then just stick my feet in(with neoprene sheath). However, not sure whether this would heat the liners up enough or cause damage?

what do you guys think?

just had a read, good article. So yopu dont reckon i would be able to just do the toe's? hmm water would be 100deg c not 125 as recommended, but would it damage liner? Its just that all the rest of the liner is perfect so i dont really want to re-mold it all unless i really have to. btw whats the 2x4 for?- a toe riser?

thanks for the help

I just paid $30 here in Bend to have my liners molded, and Im actually kinda bummed on the half-assed job they did. The only thing the guy did was put a toe cap on me..never asked about hot spots or anything and he CRANKED the straps down, to where the liners kinda squeezed out of the boot.

almost totally unrelated, sorry.

I think you wanna do the whole thing all at once. and the 2X4 is for resting on with your toes UP to get a good fit

If your toenail continues to give you grief after the reheat think about having the toe box shell area on the boot heated and expanded. I ended up doing that after trying the reheat and loosing my toenail. Feels great now.

Hey Ricky,

I've molded a few pairs of liners at home, I notice that the liner doesn't seem to become "moldable" unless it's heated up to about 250 F. I just read the excellent article on yyzcanuck.com (http://yyzcanuck.com/E_tech_cooking.htm) and he suggests 260 F, which is about what I use. I don't think 212 F would get the liners hot enough. I don't see how it would hurt the liner though.

There seems to be a magic temp where the material expands slightly, and feels different. I'd describe it as changing from a foam-rubber (like wetsuit material) feel to a "gel" type bike-seat feel. When it's like that, it's ready to mold and will hold its shape when cooled.

Hey D-Sub, you ridden with Doug Dryer yet?

Steve

Steve

havent! We keep missing each other on the lifts. I didnt get on the hill today until 9, and then I met a couple who were both in hard boots so I rode with them a bit. Saw a dude on a burner rippin it up. coulda been Doug...not sure.

Ive got all winter:)

Im seriously considering redoing my liners. I just noticed now that one is higher than the other while in the shell...sucks when you pay for something and its not done right

Originally posted by Steve Dold

Doug would know if there is a good bootfitter up there. Email me if you want his number, he and Carol are both great people to know and really like helping people get their equipment dialed in.

actually, I spoke with him and he wasnt too sure it seemed.

I'll probably just go back to the same shop, if only to use their convection oven, but do the rest myself according to the instructions here and at yyzcanuck