Note to New Members ×

Mountain Creek opening

zenyogi4

1st day at the creek was CROWDED. I was there at 8, so was everyone else. 2 trails at south. Had to really fight for turns today. The snow was only OK considering nobody had even been on it yet - the groomers left a few ruts and lots of mini death cookies. I probably expected too much though - it is opening day. Every kid in jersey was there totally amped about being at the mountain and totally out of control. Hopefully they will groom tonight and not just leave it (that happens sometimes)

...But it's 16 minutes from my house and it's damn good to get some runs in before work.

Belleayre mtn. was really nice though on Tues. I think that spoiled me a little for today. If you can make it happen, I'd suggest getting up earlier and going up north a bit. I've always liked Belleayre. The grooming is really nice there, it's dead midweek and the mountain has great carving terrain.

Just an opinion though.

Erik J,

I was there from 9:00 to 11:30 and riding my E-deck. I didn't see any other hard riders there except for my buddy Tommy. Where were you riding? I rode twice on south peak and the rest of the time on Bear peak (racing trail). I didn't think it was to bad though, the conditions were pretty good. As for people, I thought it was no better or worse than any other Saturday morning. I only ride my smaller decks on weekends because unless your making tight turns, you'll seldom have the chance to turn at all.

I guess I'm spoiled since I really only ride midweek. I thought it was pretty damn crowded though - constantly looking over my shoulder for the crazies. Like I said though I don't venture out on weekends much. As for the snow, I know it's day one for the creek, I just had higher expectations for some reason. Belleayre was really, really nice on tues. this week. I guess I'm comparing.

I was at the lift at 8:00 and left at 9:30, saw one other guy on plates. Didn't know who he was though. JT, when are you heading up next?

Erik,

I live in Vernon and usually go out from about 4:00 p.m to 6:00 p.m a couple of nights a week. I will be there again on Tuesday night. It sounds like you ride mostly in the day. I'm sure our paths will cross. I have Christmas week off and will be there often in the mornings of that week. The next morning I go out I will post it and maybe we'll hook up. If you plan on going to Bellayre again during this week post it and I'll try to go.

Saw one guy on the liftline with a Donek, was that either of you? I made a half dozen runs but it was too crowded was clipped by a freestyler doing a blind side jib accross the South peak, Thank the godz for body armour. Will probably ride at least one night a week and a day on weekend after New Years. Will keep my eyes open for you all.

I thought it odd that the crowds were no worse than any other Sunday during the season (until after lunch). Zero lift line on Bear and only a few minutes on South. So I had a great morning. Only idiots on the hill were the Mountain Creek instructors on skis. Obviously they are used to those lame banana turns and think its carving. As a result they always cut crazy close when overtaking and don't realize how close they came to being a 98.6 degree death cookie.

See you on the hill high school teacher and Inn owner! Maybe I'll ride the Alp this year.

sic

sic t 2,

Not only do alot of the instructors think they can ski but they also think they own the slopes and can direct a snowboarder to do anything they want. The ONLY good skiers on that hill are on the racing trail on Bear Peak. All the USSA kids and there coaches understand proper ski etiquette and also can turn their boards. Most of the high school racers and coaches also know whats going on. As for most others on the slopes, not a clue.

I heard someone was involved in a crash and was paralyzed on Sunday at the creek. I heard it was a ski instructor but I'm not positive. Really unfortunate if its true. I'm not sure what caused the crash but there were some REALLY out of control people there on Sat.

Rode this morning, ice and really hard pack in some spots, very soft in other spots by the guns. Nobody on the hill though - a good morning to be out. It was challenging to be laid out on the soft stuff and within one foot have the snow change to glare ice. Made for an interesting morning. It was kind of fun to use two different styles within three turns. Kept me on my toes. 6 deg and very windy - keeps everyone else away.