Note to New Members ×

something for the CAN - US border hoppers

kieran

Anything that powerful that can scan thru metal, is definitely going to rip right through living tissue. Hopefully the border agents will give people the option of exiting their vehicles before the scan begins.

Those scanners don't scan the full length of the vehicle at once, so someone has to be behind the wheel. It's like driving through a waterfall vs. sitting parked in an automatic car wash.

I just wonder the heck one can see in there that would be consider illegal.

a gun could be seen but it is not illegal

Wine/liquor can be seen but not illegal

Powder in any form-- dont think you can see it.

Drugs.. dont think it shows

so just what can you xray in a car that you should not have?

this is an AFWOTAM

In the 63 page document linked on CNET, (as far as I saw) none of these scanners are currently slated to be on our northern border. The "estimated locations" indicate that there will be two in CA, two in AZ, two in NM, and and nine in TX.

I just wonder the heck one can see in there that would be consider illegal.

a gun could be seen but it is not illegal

Wine/liquor can be seen but not illegal

Powder in any form-- dont think you can see it.

Drugs.. dont think it shows

so just what can you xray in a car that you should not have?

this is an AFWOTAM

Maybe they are looking at densities and not the image..With the car moving and the top down image, it's basically a three dimensional scan..Rutheford Backscatter Spectometry will tell you the density of something if you know the thickness of whatever you're shooting the alpha particles through..I dont' know if that's true when you're shooting them through the mishmash of materials in a car- I don't know how that works if they are going through a steel door and through explosives and back out a steel door again...I failed my second semester of AP Chem :freak3:

Edit and disclaimer: I most likely am talking completely out of my ass. I bombed the nuclear chemistry section on my final too. Literally the only thing I am certain of is that backscatter spectometry will tell you the density of something if you know the thickness..I do not know how applicable that is.

Maybe they are looking at densities and not the image..With the car moving and the top down image, it's basically a three dimensional scan..Rutheford Backscatter Spectometry will tell you the density of something if you know the thickness of whatever you're shooting the alpha particles through..I dont' know if that's true when you're shooting them through the mishmash of materials in a car- I don't know how that works if they are going through a steel door and through explosives and back out a steel door again...I failed my second semester of AP Chem :freak3:

if thats the case then they need to go microwave.. like these guys do.,

http://www.emittech.com/hh.html

http://www.emittech.com/bottle.html

if thats the case then they need to go microwave.. like these guys do.,

http://www.emittech.com/hh.html

http://www.emittech.com/bottle.html

See my disclaimer I edited in after you quoted me.. hahaha

I assume the drive through portal with energy levels that are (claimed to be) safe for humans is meant to speed the whole border crossing process. Is it safe to microwave yourself? I thought there was some less lethal technology that used microwaves and hurt like hell.

I didn't look at the Z Scan site today, I'm saving that for the 6 hours I have to kill tomorrow at school. BUT..just briefly scanning that site (no pun intended) I gathered that the microwave technology is meant to detect anomalies in a body of consistent density. A car is full of random density changes. It would be funny to stuff your door panels full of hot pockets though..

EDIT: I spoke too soon..They have a microwave body scanner on the site that can apparently "be calibrated to higher standards so that anomalous head sweats and fevers could be detected, flagging an individual for closer scrutiny."

Too bad CANADA didn't have these scanners when shipping back military material from Afghanastan. We ended up getting shipping containers full of rocks and sand .I wonder what they got? Well what do you expect when you ship through Pakistan and India. Should have done the over the fence delivery from UPS. Have no fear the gov't always has our best interest in mind.