Note to New Members ×

Mid March Lake Tahoe Recommendations?

Mxjas38

I am flying into Reno the week of March 12 for work, and I want to get down to Tahoe for a good day of carving. Of course being from the ice coast I would be all for a powder day if I can get that lucky!

Where should I go for good groomers?

or

A powder day weather permitting?

Thanks,

Jason

Mt. Rose is the closest to Reno at 30 minutes. It’s a smaller resort with fewer crowds than the bigger Tahoe resorts, grooming is good and it has fairly steep runs. Most other Tahoe resorts are 1 to 1.5 hours away. What Loc said is spot on although Alpine might be more crowded this year since they merged with Squaw. Kirkwood has great carving but is the longest drive. Several people like Heavenly but again too crowded for my taste.

Hard to beat Kwood, but like Randy said, long drive. Best bet would be to hook up with the locals. Ride Rose with Randy, Heavenly with tahoetrencher (He knows how to beat the crowds).

I'm pretty much a south shore guy. Sierra if the weather sucks, Heavenly or Kirkwood if it's nice.

Personally I think Northstar is a great mountain, if you don't have to get there. Once I'm at the top I love it. Find good snow all day. Unfortunately, it's probably the most user unfriendly of all of them for day riders. Absolute PITA to get on the hill.

Hit the ride board, it's sooo much better to ride with someone who knows the resort. Hopefully by March we'll have some snow.