Note to New Members ×

Advise and comparisons

LambertoMI

I don't see any chance to run 58-60° on neither Tantalus (width 17) nor Silberpfeil (18). We're talking about 65-75 depending on your skills/inclination and shoetype/size.

Twice the price...what do you mean? Not enough? 1:4 would be more suitable?

You cannot compare the two.. If you're buying a Virus you pay the price and eradicate it from your memory immediately afterwards. You fall in love with it, and maybe after a couple of seasons you sell it for twice the price of a non-custom.

If it's worth it nobody can tell you because nobody has bought one for sensible reasons.

I don't see any chance to run 58-60° on neither Tantalus (width 17) nor Silberpfeil (18). We're talking about 65-75 depending on your skills/inclination and shoetype/size.

i manage to run 60°r/65°f on a silberpfeil 172. m30 boots. pokkis' fuego alignment method. :biggthump

One of the unsolved enigmas in our sport.. how some of us can ride low angles without drag and some can't.

Talking about me: Size MP 29.5, I need 21 cm for the same angles.

One explanation could be that some (NSR) boards have a lot of taper and wider radii towards the tail.. therefore you have more trouble to run low angles on the rear foot than with classical shapes.

The Tant has some taper (specs above), more than the Silberpfeil with its more classical shape, so I'd say that on the SP which is also 1 cm wider you can run lower angles than on the Tantalus.

edit: metal, yes.

One of the unsolved enigmas in our sport.. how some of us can ride low angles without drag and some can't.

Talking about me: Size MP 29.5, I need 21 cm for the same angles.

One explanation could be that some (NSR) boards have a lot of taper and wider radii towards the tail.. therefore you have more trouble to run low angles on the rear foot than with classical shapes.

The Tant has some taper (specs above), more than the Silberpfeil with its more classical shape, so I'd say that on the SP which is also 1 cm wider you can run lower angles than on the Tantalus.

edit: metal, yes.

yes. my f2 has a nice 12m radial sidecut. on my donek, which is 14-20m, i have pretty much the same angles, but it's 20cm wide in the middle.

pokkis' fuego alignment method - Can you explain this? I have not heard of this method....

I ride high angles, around 60, with a MP of 27. But, this is the old Burton wind/reactor boots that angle up on toe and heel. That with the race plates allow me get the board close to 90 degrees up without too much drag. Most of my boards are around 20cm waist and I have no issue with clearance. Actually, I almost have 1/2 - 3/4 clearance from the edge. I just parted with an F2 asym that had a 18.5 waist and had no issues with clearance. I won't know exaclty what I need until I drop bindings and boots on the deck.

As far as price goes, it more about what I pay out. Odds are, I will keep this board for a long time, so its more about what are you getting for your money.

For example, you buy a ferrari, its not the fastest car on the road, it may not be the best. But when you drive it, the feel is like no other. I would not mind to own a Ferrari, but I want to be sure this is the board that will feel right every time I ride it. With my small board exposure I am in very unfamiliar waters trying to figure out how to swim....

This is why I am asking so many obvious and silly questions. I am so far behind in technology and design that I am not sure where to start. If I lived in CO, this would be easy as I can go to a local shop and try all that I want.