Note to New Members ×

Some call me crazy…

Ray

Because of “another” Christmas party, which I have to attempt Friday eve, I decided to leave LA Saturday morning

at 3:30AM and drive up directly to Mammoth/June to hit the slopes.

I just told some people here in my office about my beautiful plan, and they all think I am nuts!

I might be anyway, but in this matter I think, boy it just snowed over 30 inches the last two days,

the snow will be PERFECT by Saturday. How much better can it get?

Naa, they just have no clue what they are missing.

Guest Randy S.

I get that all the time. Some people just don't get it. They can't understand why I endure the 3.5-6 hour trip to Tahoe every Friday/Sunday. Of course, when I don't have my kids I can leave at 4:20 which makes the trip more bearable.

Of course it once took 8 hours to get home. I could have done without that trip. Be careful on MLK weekend when it is dumping snow.

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by Mellow Yellow

I think your sane.... sane as I am....

my wife thinks I'm nuts though.... :D

I think that may have something to do with my marital status - Divorced! In fact, if you look at my profile on match.com, you'll see that it basically says "I'm only interested in you if you are willing to go to Tahoe on a regular basis in the winter". I just can't date someone who doesn't want to go skiing with me.

I think that may have something to do with my marital status - Divorced! In fact, if you look at my profile on match.com, you'll see that it basically says "I'm only interested in you if you are willing to go to Tahoe on a regular basis in the winter". I just can't date someone who doesn't want to go skiing with me.

I made her aware that she was going to be a snowboard widow during the winters... :D

of course in the summer (since she's a teacher) she goes here and there.... it ends up being a wash...

In the last 3 years, I've put about 17,000 miles on my car just driving two and from the mountains to go riding.

At 30mpg and $2/gal, that's $1133 just on gas. If you go by the government's numbers, it costs $.37/mile to operate a car, so using their numbers, I've spent $6290 just on transportation to go ride.

Insane? No way. Insane is the person who looks outside, sees snow, and then stays in.

Guest jeremiah

I do the 4-5 hour drive from NYC to VT almost every weekend in the winter. My wife decided after 2 years of not seeing me from December through April that she might as well join the fun. She bought a share, bought me a season pass, and as soon as she learns to drive a stick, life will be just about perfect.

Now if I could only get her to switch from skis to snowboards......

Jeremiah

I'm up at Tahoe as much as I can - next weekend I'll also drive up the morning after our company x-mas party to race USASA...

...and I got lucky with my wife and her family. They own a cabin close to Tahoe in Truckee. And my wife doesn't mind to get rid of me for a couple of weekends during the winter so that she can do stuff with her mom - bot of them are not too much into skiing. So her dad and I get to spend a lot of time playing in the snow...

:D

I regularly make 2hr. to 9hr. drives for snow in the early and late season and when I'm not at my home mountain. I also sleep in my truck on a regular basis. I love the late night drive to the base area parking lot, waking up with rock star parking, and cooking breakfast in the back.

Last ECES I drove 9 hrs and slept in my truck for 3 days. I smelled bad but I think it adds to the experience. I used the money I saved on lodging to get a massage after riding.

There is nothing like a good road trip.

...there are others like us.