Note to New Members ×

Another New Guy

Banjo Bill

Hi Folks

I started hard booting the begining of last year on and old Oxygin fr67 (I believe its and all mt or freecarve) doing well can cut most of the time. I have been softbooting for about 5yrs. I am 6 " 220. All the specs and reviews i have read talk about 6" 180 .

Should i be going to a much longer board for better carving? or stay in the high 160's or low 170's or go up to 180.

Looking for a Xmas gift for me !!!

thanks in advance for the advice

Bill

Hey, I weigh in at buck and a half and am running a 160 to 162 carving board. I have a hard time bending a 168 on hardpack, but you could probably handle most anything out there after you get used to it.

You should first figure where you're going to be using it the most, how hard the surface is and how wide the runs are, and how many targets there are on the slope. The length of the turns are dependent on the sidecut, and the stiffness of the board, so you should maybe describe the conditions under which you'll be skiing.

The longer and stiffer (as opposed to too short and limpy) the wilder the ride until you get you legs.

You're not a little boy, to say the least, but you should figure out the conditions first, before you get into a 180 plus. The F67 is definitely too short and too soft for a guy your size.

Tell us more.

I pretty much stay on hard pack and go during morning hrs during the week. I'm not a speed demon but move along and i do like to carve hard or as hard as i can. I like the widest trails I can find Iguess i'm still considerd a newbie.

I have been looking at the Donek Freecarve and the Axis. I also have been looking a few Oxygin 172 on Ebay. Don't want a race board just a step up

Thanks again

Bill

Being in pretty much your position earlier this year, I figured I would throw in some advice. I've been carving for a couple years now on an old Rossi Race and finally decided to get something that better fits me and the way I ride. One of the things that helped me out a lot was talking to the guys at Donek. They were able to give me a fairly good idea as to how each board should handle according to my size and riding style, and it was a hell of a lot easier to get my questions answered over the phone than it would have been on a message board. Even though they knew I wasn't planning on buying right then, they were patient with me and answered all my questions. I ended up picking up a Donek Freecarve II 179 that I found a few weeks later on clearance. Bottom line is this- the guys who make the board probably know the board better than most, so make use of them. Like I said, it helped me out...

Just my 2 cents...

-Jim