Note to New Members ×

Nakiska - Mar 18 Friday

Puddy Tat

I realize my reliability on getting out has been less than stellar but I'm planning on coming down from Edmonton on Friday Mar 18th for a day of riding at Nakiska. I won't have my family but I may have a new carver along with me and possibly a softbooter. If they bail I'll be alone.

I'll be riding Silver Chair in the morning.

Dave

Beautiful sunny day with harder snow in the morning forcing good technique and then softening into the afternoon. Spent most of the day on Silver Chair. Managed to fully carve the bottom two-thirds of the steep black face on North Axe. I think it was mostly mental not committing to actually carving and just letting myself skid the top third of that face. It just feels huge trying to commit to fully carving on the steeps especially with the rabid straight lining racers around.

Played with technique and style while on the shallow sections of Lower North Axe. Started standing up through the c-turns and just leaning over, hands by my sides, letting my weight shift back through the turn. Occasionally I would drop a hand and trail my fingers across the snow. Felt really cool, and relaxed, nice not driving it. Two separate skiers said I looked more like I was surfing than snowboarding.

Anyways I'm feeling like I've improved a ton since I had a tough time at NES this year. Looking forward to riding with you guys next year. At least I think I'll be able to hold my own on Silver Chair next year. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Oh, did we not tell you? No Silver Chair next year. We're all riding off Gold instead. All day, all season. :lol:

I made it my mission to carve North Axe top to bottom this season. I came SO close last weekend ... skidded and half-stalled ONE turn, and carved the rest. I need one more day out there, just one more ... and then we can get it perfect next season. See you then!

Hang on nobody sent me this itinerary to approve. Wait I think we should move this event to Manitoba so Corey and Neil won't have to fly out here and I won't have to embarass my self by leaving leave skid marks on Whoop-up and in my shorts.

Anyone for a Flat Land Alpine Riding Expression Session (FLARES) in Manitoba next year?.... Anyone.... Bueller?

Ok apparently I'll have to suck it up and pack spare shorts for NES 2012.:rolleyes:

Dave

Oh, did we not tell you? No Silver Chair next year. We're all riding off Gold instead. All day, all season. :lol:

I made it my mission to carve North Axe top to bottom this season. I came SO close last weekend ... skidded and half-stalled ONE turn, and carved the rest. I need one more day out there, just one more ... and then we can get it perfect next season. See you then!

Seriously I'm hoping to put one more day at Nakiska, maybe a day during the weekend of April 9, 10, 11 when I come down with my family. I want one more chance to tear the hell out of that face on North Axe. There is a couple of steep faces at Jasper I think I want to destroy next Season as well. It is super exiharating actually carving on a steep face, just wild. Everything happens soooooo much faster.

Its interesting normally I start runs with a toeside carve but on N Axe I was skidding down and then starting with a heel. Heels were feeling super solid on Friday though.

Dave