Note to New Members ×

MN Boarders

kirtap

yeah, maybe it was him, its my first season riding alpine, so i dont really know any of the area carvers. i think ive seen the g team practice sometimes there, but never really thought about it. i read the site and got the impression that it was free but probably already full. but i was maily wondering if it really was free? i really want to get into racing and thats the first team ive heard of for snowboards around here.

The G Team is a private snowboard team. We are NOT affiliated with Hyland, but do practice there. Riders b/w 8-18. Hyland has their own team called the "X team".

How old are you?

If you're interested in racing...hit Trent up for the gate schedule at Buck Hill. It's free to ride the gates...but you dish out $22 for the lift ticket. If you're w/i the age range above, come out the G Team practice to see if you like it.

Next....check out USASA.org for the Upper Midwest "Alt" schedule. Or call Jay or Joel at the Alternative Bike & Board in Uptown.

Either way, you won't be able to avoid me. ;) I'll set the gates either way!

In tonight's case, I'm also the one getting the concussions. (Yep, had to hit Fairview Southdate on the way home to find out why I was kookie all night) I guess that might explain my problems tonight. Probably not a bad idea to grab a helmet next time. Trent, don't let me race again w/o a helmet, let alone for 7 runs after my tumble.

(Kent trying to stay awake)

im only 15, but so my rides and such are limited for now, i get my liscence in a few months, so after that i'd be more flexible and able to get to this stuff. it sounds fun. but by the time i get it, most of our short season is over, but ill try and see if i can make it out to some of these. its only my first year on an alpine set up, so it wouldnt be anything serious. thanks for the info guys

Dean...it wasn't really a spectacular crash, just a very rare toe side-hit the gate square-face plant w/o a helmet...although I pretty sure I didn't hit my head. I've had better and have a video to prove it. After a half dozen concussions, I get my bell rung a lil faster. I still can't walk a straight line. Perhaps Ironmans are easier than a clean run at Buck...

We were quite disappointed you and Lisa couldn't make it.....

Kirtap - 15! Sweet...we must get you out to practice.... Come out Wed or Thursday night and ride with us. I have (3) new plate riders this year.

• 3 weeks later...

No practice through the Holidays......start back up again on Jan 3rd. Come out and say Hi.

Also...this Sat (Jan 1st) we have "public" snowboard gate training at Buck Hill from 9:00am - 12:00pm on Milk Run. Since you're too young to have a hangover, that should work out nice....

The "new" riders on the G Team are (roughly) 10, 12, 15 & 16...along with the vets. We're still the minority.

If nothing else...come train with us on Sat AM (It's not a G Team thing...it's young and old), learn the ropes and then compete in the USASA Alt Series.

http://www.altbikeboard.com/pointseries.asp

Kent, just curious if it's possible to race in the series without being a USASA member? Do they have a "temporary/trial membership"? I have a colligate race at Giant's Ridge Jan 29-30, and am only running one day with the college team. I'd be interested in running one of the BX races that weekend...

Originally posted by NMU Alpine Boarder

Kent, just curious if it's possible to race in the series without being a USASA member? Do they have a "temporary/trial membership"? I have a colligate race at Giant's Ridge Jan 29-30, and am only running one day with the college team. I'd be interested in running one of the BX races that weekend...

Yea, the cost of racing USASA has been creeping up. I'm ammune to it, but I'd recommend each person sending a letter to USASA or email the Board of Directors. Basically, the fee is starting to transcend beyond race day insurance and org admin. To boot, the regions want more money.....whereas 5+ years ago it was all about passion.

There was a time when USASA wanted to be the new "ISF" and the new "AASI", but I think those hopes and dreams have past, but you never know....

I think the general problem with USASA is that it's too cyclical. Johnny Ripper gets a snowboard, gets good, drops out of hockey, starts competing, can't "win" every event, gets frustrated there are only 3-4 events per year, eventually gets bored and tries something else.... The parents who are the "glue" are only around for 3-4 years..if that. Toss in the CRAZY idea of free skiing, various different "national" teams, scholarships, instruction, the WACKO idea of having Nationals at small resorts...and it really starts to add up.

"Back then", we would all show up, compete in every event...and have a genuine good time. Boy how times have changed.

As for Giant's Ridge, I'm still bitter we're not doing alpine there, but do understand (and accept) why. It's a great bx event though....

Not sure yet, but we'll probably be training alpine that weekend at GR and you're welcome to join.....

.....you might also check into the X-Team at Hyland. I don't know much about it, but I understand it to be an "introductory" team, something that you might do before jumping in with the G-Team. Troy, one of the alpine coaches working with Kent also coaches that team on occassion.

However, as Kent says, don't miss the Buck Hill sessions......great fun without the pressure.....but watch it....some of the young kids are getting good!

Where do you live in the Twin Cities?

Matt

My brother did X-team last year, but he said their main focus was on the park events. They only did gates for a few minutes each session, and even then, it wasn't that serious or helpful.

About the Buck hill session-I'd like to get over there, but the 1St isnt looking so good for me. I'm havin a bunch of friends over for New Years and it doesn't look like I'll be able to get ride of them before noon. Is there another Buck session planned? If so, I'd try my best to make it.

Thanks

Trent

Thank you for your efforts this year at Buck. Patrick has had a blast.....you guys are a great group. Even after Saturday we look forward to our Sunday morning visits to Buck and seeing some of you at USASA events.

Have a great holiday......see ya Saturday we hope.