Note to New Members ×

prior 4wd/awd 174

I tried this at Blackcomb on a day with 20cm of fresh, more in places. I had been on a prior wcrm 177 all week in a variety of conditions so was able to compare. The construction is up to Prior's usual high standards. The 4wd is definitely more floaty than the carving board in the powder, but still felt like a carving board where the pow was deeper. Also the board was more forgiving in the inevitable late day bumps on the busy trails - springboard, jersey cream, honeycoamb, zigzag for those who know blackcomb. As the day wore on the temperature rose and the lower half of the mountain became a slush fest, which also suited the general nature of the board. On the hardpack the board just did not carve as well as my wcrm, nor did I expect it to. I enjoyed riding the 4wd on this day but I felt It was a swiss army knife - it does not carve as well as a freecarve or race board and still feells like a carving board in the powder. The board does all things and none of them well. On slush it was good with less of a tendency to dive the nose on initiation than a true carrving board.

In the end the board does not do any one thing well enough for me to consider buying one.

pusbag:

What size 4x4 do you have? The metal layer sounds like a good option.

I am starting to feel like a 183 Wide FLC might be just as much fun as a 174 4WD. Two different styles of shredding.

Sounds just like a Coiler All-Mountain Titanal VSR (AMT)

I did the trying out of many boards a couple of years ago and though I liked the 4wd I just couldn't give up the magical edge grip of the wcrm and bought a 177. Though the 4wd might be some peoples idea of a board for on and off trail it just doesn't do either well enough for me and I decided that I would rather have a "real" carving board. I tried the 4wd this time with a view to purchasing a board for off-trail. It is better than the wcrm in soft snow, but not much. I also tried a pow-stick at the same time and in a two board quiver this would be my next purchase - see my review. I honestly think the pow-stick carves about as well as the 4wd and offers a magically easy and user friendly ride in soft snow. I think I would also like a tighter turning slalomish carving board for steeps and busy days. I would also like a distillery and my own mountain.