Note to New Members ×

GS course setting

arcing

Anyone have suggestions for the spacing between gates for individual GS course? Not talking about vertical or downslope, talking the horizontal/lateral between gates. IE looking up the course, how far between the gates side to side.

So far this season, I have been setting on fresh corduroy so I have been going by cat track widths. Setting spacing at ~2.5 cat track widths has been working, but wondering if there are any standards #s out there.

Thanks,

Gene

Loup Snowboard Team

WA

look in the USASA rule book. the distance is between gates; i.e. if you take a rope at 20m, and tie it around the stubbie of the gate above it, you can put the next gate at the other end of the rope. the horizontal distance will depend on the slop of the hill. steeper sections will be set more across the hill, to control speed, and flatter sections will be straighter. best thing to do is run your courses and make sure they feel right, compared to courses that are set by more experienced setters...

-Noah

gene-

lately it seems that approx 23-24 meters is what allows the athletes to ride the sidecut of a modern gs race board.

like noah stated, use the pitch of the hill to determine to horizontal offset.

your main idea, IMO is the following:

1) safety. no athlete should be expected to race a course that is set in a "dangerous" manner.

2) flow. you want the athlete to charge the racecourse, without a disruption in "flow"-- if a gate set requires a "feathered" turn, that's okay. but a spped check, or a gate that would require an un-natural carve is usually frowned upon.

3) challenge based on ability. The USASA courses we set are a little straighter than say a NOR AM. I aim for approx 85-90 percent of the athletes in a USASA race to complete the course. if everyone breezes through, then the times are tight, the course is most likely too easy.

i hope this helps. just a few things to consider in the many variables of course setting. have fun. run the courses you set- they will tell you many things about the job you did!

best of luck, and keep setting sticks in the ground!!!!

From FIS rule book:

2502.1 Technical Data Parallel Slalom

For Parallel Slalom(PSL) the vertical drop of the course must be between 80 and 120 memters with a minimum of 18 gates. IT is recommended to set around 25 gates in PSL with a horizontal distance (turning pole to turning pole) of between 10-14 meters.

2502.2 Technical Data Parallel Giant Slalom

For Parallel Giant Slalom (PGS) the vertical drop of the course must be between 120-200 meters with a minimum of 18 gates. It is recommended to set around 25 gates in PGS with a horizontal distance (turning pole to turning pole) of between 20-27 meters.

Appreciate the replies. I attached a diagram of the measurement I am looking for. If cat-track widths are about 14ft, on a shallow slope (green run) we have used 2.5 cattrack widths or ~35 or 10.5m. This has seemed plenty turny but allowing for maintaining speed. Our race course will be a fair amount steeper, so using your advice, I will make this distance a bit more.

horiz width.doc

I think we all understood the question, but the voices of experience are telling you that there is no set distance that would be used as described. That distance is a function of the slope, the distance between turning gates, safety and where you are trying to go with the course...

From FIS rule book:

2502.1 Technical Data Parallel Slalom

For Parallel Slalom(PSL) the vertical drop of the course must be between 80 and 120 memters with a minimum of 18 gates. IT is recommended to set around 25 gates in PSL with a horizontal distance (turning pole to turning pole) of between 10-14 meters.

2502.2 Technical Data Parallel Giant Slalom

For Parallel Giant Slalom (PGS) the vertical drop of the course must be between 120-200 meters with a minimum of 18 gates. It is recommended to set around 25 gates in PGS with a horizontal distance (turning pole to turning pole) of between 20-27 meters.

you have quoted the wrong rules. The rules you are citing are the for the layout of Parallel course, in other words, the distance between the turning poles of the same gate on the Parallel course should be 10-14M for SL and 20-27M for GS.

The correct rule citation is:

Slalom:

2101.4.3 The distance between off-set turning poles must be between 8 and 15 me-

ters.

The distance between turning poles in a combination must be between 6

and 8 meters.

− At least one triple or quadruple and at least 3 double combinations

must be included.

− Banana gates cannot be set in Slalom.

Giant Slalom:

2201.5 Number of gates

The Giant Slalom has to be set as follows:

It is recommended to set with a distance of between 20–27 meters be-

tween turning gates in Giant Slalom (Exception: Banana Gates). The re-

sults list should show the number # of turns and number # of gates. Ex-