Note to New Members ×

ALP D'HUEZ carving...

rikytheripster

Hi Ricky,

Alped'Huez is an OK sort of place for a French resort built in the sixties... Quite a few nice open pistes for carving, and some really long interconnecting runs that start at the top of PicBlanc and go on and on and on. I recall some flat blue sections beyond L'Alpette and over towards Vaujany and some big moguls in places on the black runs, but there should be enough to keep amused and at speed for a week by staying on the groomed blacks and reds around Marmottes, 2700 and Signal.

If you really want to live life then try the tunnel near the top of PicBlanc - not recommended on a carving board, not to mention the mogul field at the far end!

The buckets are like an open walk in lift system that you step into and bump your way from the base of the village up to the main lift. Unique but effective in that way that has to be French.

From what I recall there is the normal range of night-life, including open air ice rink and swimming pool for those with energy to spare. Can't remembe seening Carving gear for sale when I was there five years ago.

Al G

It's ok, and it's not hard to get to other places from there. I haven't been for quite a few years, but when I was there it was mostly intermediate terrain with the more interesting stuff fairly high up. I thought that was a good idea, as in poor snow the stuff you'd lose was just motorway. The catch is that some of the higher lifts close in bad weather, or at least they did when I was there.

As far as good places for carving, pretty much anywhere with snow will do. Unlike some other styles of snowboarding stuff like tunnels & mogul fields are straight forward... just takes a bit of practice.

I have been there about 4 times, and IMO it is a very underrated place.

Have been to Val Thorens, Tignes etc too, so can compare

Only downside to the "Grandes Rousses" area is that part of it is on slopes that are relatively low (for french standards).

The famous Sarenne slope starts at 3330 meter, is a whopping 16 (or 18) kilometers in length (yes, 10 miles) and has a height difference of 1800 metres. This is really one of the classic descents, starting on the glacier, wide-open, some steep parts, and ending by a path through the Sarenne gorge.

Downside (as said above) is that this descent is partly south-facing, and it ends at 1500 meters. When snow is bad, the second part of this run is closed. There is another run that goes partly parallel.

When snow is bad, both runs are closed, and you lose 25 kilometers of piste in 1 go!!!

This will normally not be a problem between mid-january and mid-march.

Apart from this, it is a very nice area, especially suitable for groups of mixed ability. The slopes directly above the village are easy, very wide (up to 200 metres). The area has one of the (maybe THE) biggest installations for artificial snow in europe, more than 1000 cannons.

The higher up you go, the steeper the slopes get. From 3330 (pic blanc) there's the tunnel-piste, which is one of the steepest slopes of europe. consistently steep, over 500 metres of height difference. When you fall, you don't stop...there are guys with binoculars sitting on the bottom to keep an eye...

The further away you go from the main lift-axis (alpe d'huez towards pic-blanc), the quieter it gets. That is also where you find the best carving terrain. But the main slopes are also very good, but more crowded. For instance, the red Chamois from 2700 to 2100;

For instance, on the other side of the Sarenne gorge, is the area of Auris-en-Oisans. this is a noth-facing wide slope, 600 metres of height-difference, wide, and the angle is almost constant over the whole length. and it is quiet, quiet. and the lift back up is a fast quad detachable.

Then there's the part above Vaujany. some nice NW facing runs, maybe 400 metres of height differences (so not extremely long) but again wide, good snow, and empty

new this year is the funifor marmottes-3, so now there's a second point where you get up to the glacier

Here is a short list of slopes you cannot afford to miss:

-Sarenne

-Combe Charbonniere

-Pic Blanc - Alpette - La Fare (Enversin d'Oz). 2200 metres of height difference...

For eating, be sure to go (at least once) to "Les Airelles". It's on the left side of the slope from Alpette to Montfrais, in the Vaujany part of the area. This is one of the best mountain restaurants I know of. It's authentic, not chiq, food is superb, and the people are nice. It's an old farm that is built against a rock wall. Actually, one of the 3 walls is...the rock wall!

http://www.skimaps.com/Alpe_d'Huez_skiarea708.html

You'll have a great time, Alpe d'Huez is fantastic.

By the way, if you get a good powder-dump, be aware that La Grave is only 90 minutes away by car...