Note to New Members ×

Plate Bindings for a Burton Custom (EST mounts)

RYY

Hello all,

I am really new to this site so I hope this is the appropriate forum to drop this topic into. I am a Canadian West coast boarder. I have been riding a Burton custom with Burton Race plate bindings and Burton Reactor. (Boots and bindings are in great shape) hardboots for about 9-10 years now. Not your average carving board but it is a great all round board that I find great control and amazing(I think) speed out of. Last season I heavily damaged the base of the board and I am told that is not repairable. Here is where my troubles start, Burton has gone away from standard threadsert syle mounting points and has been working the EST style mounting system. The new boards are not compatible with the bindings I have. Does anyone know of a hard boot/plate binding that will work with the EST style mounting system that are now used on Burton snowboards. I really do want to stick with the Burton custom as I have had such good success with it, from the powder-bumps-groomers to ice.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

RYY

l'm no authority on what Burton are doing now but if they have their own new patented binding/board interface l doubt you'll be able to find a match.

There are many many great board companies that use standardized 4x4 hole patterns. l would consider looking at that option. Then, all you need to do is change the central disk in your bindings and you are back in the game.

The Burton ICS system came about because their 3 hole patent ran out but they wanted to make sure that you had to buy their bindings

Several of my Instructor colleagues have found that with soft boots after a full season of use, the bindings do start to wander and loosen on their own. I would imagine with the additional pressure from your boot/binding set up that this would happen much sooner.

I know that you are attached to the Custom but you will find that the new version is more freestyle orientated than your trusty old steed, less torsionally stiff and no longer as grippy on ice, nor as stable.

Blasphemy I know but have a look at some of the 4 hole offerings on the market such as the Never Summer Raptor, my personal freeride fave. Try and demo one if you get the chance.

Good hunting,

Martin

I have a Dynastar 166 Xavier de la Rue board that I got this year on the forum. I am going to sell it as I just picked up a used Prior MFR 168w for my new soft boot board.

I am not sure what you are looking for as far as a board, but it is in great shape and cheap :)

I personally am not a fan of the latest Burton stuff, but it seems that they have made the entire process more difficult for all riders to choose their gear. You either buy their bindings and their boards together, or nothing at all.

If 4x4 is working for Prior, Donek, and Coiler, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Burton. Well actually I do see, but I really don't want to type it all out.:freak3: