Note to New Members ×

Donek Plates (and boards) at Stratton this weekend

~tb

(Moderators, if you feel this should be in the VT ride boards, please feel free to move it. I had mixed emotions)

I just thought that I would give the BOL community a heads up that I will be at stratton with 2.5 Donek Plates this weekend if anyone wants to give them a whirl.

I will have 2 production plates, 2 sets of 4X4 hardware, 1 set of UPM hardware, and one complete UPM prototype plate.

If anyone wants to give any of this a try, please let me know ahead of time. I should be available to set boards up sometime late morning if anyone is interested. If you are die-hard about getting more time on it, we could meet up friday night to set your board up ahead of time.

I will also have 2 184 Rec GS's with me if anyone has the itch to try the 2010/2011 boards out, but probably wont want these beauties too far out of my site . . . if you know what I mean.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24778&stc=1&d=1293250798

Hi tb,

I'm curious about the 184 GS. I'm kind of new at carving in hardboots (started last season) and I'm 5'5" at 168 lb. I'm currently riding a Donek Axxess 162 and it's the only alpine board I've ever ridden.

Do you think at my size and novice experience level, the 184 GS is totally out of my league? My first reaction is probably too long and too stiff for me.

Thoughts?

Hi tb,

I'm curious about the 184 GS. I'm kind of new at carving in hardboots (started last season) and I'm 5'5" at 168 lb. I'm currently riding a Donek Axxess 162 and it's the only alpine board I've ever ridden.

Do you think at my size and novice experience level, the 184 GS is totally out of my league? My first reaction is probably too long and too stiff for me.

Thoughts?

Lafcadio,

I wouldn't put these boards (especially the white one) completely out of your range, but it would probably put you at the edge. I might be willing to set you up on it as long as you keep it on some greeens and WIDE blues to start.

The metal freecarves (which I have none of) would be more up your alley.

Todd,

Have you ridden them yet?

If yes what is the learning curve to actually be able to ride with it? For the average rider?

I have heard it is a couple of days before you can actually figure out how to turn with it.

Alex

Alex,

I have been on these plates for about a "half day" now. I would say that it took me about 2 turns on a "6-pack" run before I was ready for just about anything. 2nd run was a top to bottom lift line with a break at the mid point in fairly cut up weekend conditions.

I am convinced that anyone who has spent time on a 205 or any other massive board will adapt to a plate QUICKLY as they are already used to what a more massive board will do at low speeds and when you stop it.

I was riding with my dad on the first day out on the plate, I warned him that I was likely to fall either on the first (low speed) turn or at the first stop . . . neither happened.

You would likely feel similar to me. . . .warm up on a six pack, then be ready for anything on the mountain except mabey slalom glade or grizzly bear.

I wouldn't put these boards (especially the white one) completely out of your range, but it would probably put you at the edge.

What are the specs on these boards that would make the white one more suitable?

I might be willing to set you up on it as long as you keep it on some greeens and WIDE blues to start. The metal freecarves (which I have none of) would be more up your alley.

Thanks for the offer, but unless these boards are known to be especially soft/easy riding for their length (which I think not from the Donek web site), I think I'm looking to try something in the 170s.

I would love to get my hands on a Metal Freecarve or Prior FLC! :1luvu: