Note to New Members ×

SG Speed 178 Info Needed

newcarver

Anybody know the specs of this particular board? Specifically side cut, width, effective edge length. What weight rider would this board work with? Was looking for a 173 but have had no luck. Found a good price on a 178 but wasn't sure if this would be too much board for me. I have been riding a 167 Burner and a 160 Proton. Very comfortable on steeper blues. Can carve on very steep blacks but not as comfortable doing it. Wanted to step it up a notch and get more edge with a little bigger sidecut than I've been riding. Just don't want to go with too stiff of a board. I weigh 160 lbs.

I have a '08 178 with titanal and I weigh some 165 lbs.

Great board!

Can carve quite short turns with its 14 m radius! Much shorter than on my American-made board with 12 m radius. Yet I'm not comfortable on narrow steep runs either, but maybe if I was better...

Sure my favorite board ever, but I must say that sometimes I do take my shorter board if I know the slopes would be crowded, especially if narrow and crowded...

Thanks for the info guys :biggthump I think I will bite the bullet and buy it. Wanted to get a custom metal board but is out of my financial reach at the moment. I sold my GS board and need something on the bigger side. This will fit the bill for a while. Has about the right specs for what I'm looking for. I will get a custom metal board one day. Maybe if I win the lottery! Or a good used one in the size I'm looking for might show up one day.

To be honest, I have had a custom made board and was very happy with it. I decided on the specs after riding various boards and came to certain dimensions I thought would be best for me (with designer's help and suggestions, for sure!).

The problem in this theory is, that SG 178 Titanal was nothing like a board (regarding sidecut, eff. edge, etc.) I was looking for, even after selling my custom made board and testing many other boards. But it turned to be my favorite board of all times!

So don't worry about specs too much! Just testride as many boards as you can and find your favorite!

The draw back of this approach is that you become addicted to testing new boards... complicated stuff :eplus2:

Whoo Hooo! Just got my new Speed 178. Looks real nice :1luvu: Hope to get it on the slopes by this Sat. Tomorrow looks like a pow day. About the only time I didn't want it to snow!

Was hoping to sell enough gear to buy a new custom metal Donek FC, but didn't get enough $'s to do it. This should hold me over for a while and give me a better idea of the specs I want. Metal still in my future.