Note to New Members ×

ISO SLC rec's, locals, info

FTA2R

Hi All,

My friends and I will be riding Snowbasin, Snowbird, and probably Brighton on the following days 12/10 (Friday), 12/11 (Sat), and 12/12. I have a ton of ?'s for those who know.

1. How are each of these resorts for carving?

2. Can you recommend some carving runs (I'm newb carver) for each resort

3. We want to go snowmobiling for a day. My friend is a former local and says that the real good snowmobiling areas are about 2 hours from SLC area. Can someone please point me in the right direction. None of us have ever snowmobilied. It seems to me that 3 hours would be plenty, but I don't know. Also, what's a good price?

4. Any hardboot instructors in the SLC area?

5. Deer Valley and Alta are the only Utah resorts that prohoibit riding, right?

6. Last, but certainly not least, I'd love to ride with anyone out there, esp. if you feel like giving me some pointers. Let me know if you wanna meet sometime.

many Thanks in advance,

Barry

Barry,

Plenty o' stuff to carve here in Utah. If you do head to Brighton, there is some decent carving (not a lot of wide trails) - Millicent is open and has plenty of coverage now with the last couple of storms - steeper groomed terrain there. You may want to consider Solitude as well (just down the road from Brighton) - a few good places there off of Eagle Express lift.

Snowbasin is up just out of Ogden/Mountain Green - I live about 20 min. from the parking lot. Plenty of places to carve there. Needles Express and Strawberry Express are two 8-man gondolas that will give you access to a lot of stuff. A fun, wide groomer is Wildcat (off Wildcat lift or go all the way to the top from Needles Express). They usually only open up Wildcat lift on the weekends. Stuff off of Strawberry Express (access from Becker or Needles Express) is fun - Main Street, Trapper's Trail, Elk Ridge. If your feeling strong, take John Paul Express up and ride the downhill course steep puppy!:eek:

Have you considered the Park City resorts (PC and Canyons) - good stuff there - Phil Fell and Bordy are good resources there for guidance and instruction if you can get a hold of them.

Don't ride Snowbird that often - like stuff off of the Gad Valley chairs - pay a little extra for the tram for Mineral Basin (open yet?).

If you are going up to Snowbasin, look me up and I might be able to hook up with you that weekend.

Don't know about the snowmobiling thing. Try a search in the SLC/Ogden area. I've seen people riding around Trapper's Loop out of Mountain Green. I'm sure Park City has plenty of resources as well.

Yes, Alta and Deer Valley are the only two hold-outs in this state - possibly the nation since New Mexico has at least opened up Taos!

Snowmobiling... Daniels Summit is a must. I usually try to go up there at least once a winter, you can easily put in over a hundred miles. It's located on hwy 40 about 20 min east of Heber, UT. They offer guided and unguided tours. I suggest going unguided, you rent the sled and take off exploring on your own. My advice is have your pow set-up close by because if the snow is good you can usually find somewhere to make some good pow turns or build a backcountry kicker. Also pay the extra money for the insurance, there is a good chance you might need it. You can probably do a google search and find prices and contact info.

Insurance for the sled, it's easy to get a little out of hand and break something on the sled. No navagational system, all of the main trails are well marked, if you choose to go off the trail system you are on your own. Navagating out west is way easier than in the east. The landmarks are more distinct, if you get lost get to a high point and look around for tracks that will lead you back to the main trail system.

We'll be on Powder mountain and snowbasin next Friday and Sunday (not sure which mountain which day though). Snowmobiling at Daniel's Summit Saturday.

I'm staying at my friend's in Layton, also. Apparently it's somewhat close to where you live.

I'll be wearing a yellow shell and beigeish/greenish snowboarding pants, hopefully riding my Alp 157, black helmet. May have the freeride 156 though. yourself?

Barry

Barry

Don't think I can get away from work on Friday. I was thinking maybe Saturday, but sounds like you're doing the snowmobiling thing (sounds fun). Not sure about Sunday. What part of Layton does your friend live?

I'm going to be taking my son up to Powder Mt. today (like in an hour) for his first time up this season. Rode Brighton yesterday - Great conditions, great snow! Snowbasin (rode it Wednesday) was ok. Quite a bit of snow, but not everything open yet - need another storm (supposedly Sunday/Monday). Should be real good next weekend. You really should consider going to Little or Big Cottonwood Canyon - better quality of snow and more of it for now. Resorts in this area will need another week or two to get up to speed.

Well, Powder Mt. was quite good today - They've opened up quite a bit more and Sundown side is open for night ski/boarding from 4:30 to like 10:00 PM. By the time you get here next week, I think just about anywhere around here will be fine.

Rode with my Dad and my 7 yr old son on the Nidecker freeride/BX board (mounted w/TD2 SI - I got some strange looks with that combo) - good carving and all-around riding conditions!