Note to New Members ×

Kelowna area

P06781

Hey I will be up in the Kelowna area next week to do a 2 day Cat ski/board at Monashee powder out of cherryville . There are couple of last minute spots available yet for the 14-16th? I will be riding my a tanker 2k with bombers. I might ride the 17 and 18 too at resorts. Any recs on whats best out of silverstar, big white, apex , or any other ideas ? Cheap good places to stay/lodge ? Best micro brews/ food in the area?

Jim

At SILVERSTAR:

I usually stay at the Lord Aberdeen. Could be cheaper places but it is sooooo convenient. Hot tub, bbq, decent size ski lockers, parking beside the hotel and Longjohns(pub) downstairs. The Ahi tuna burger is AWESOME!!

For groomers the front side of the Mountain. Look for a fella by the name of Gustav riding Coilers in the morning. He can usually be found on Far Out, Sundance, Whiskey Jack or Over the Hill. At the snowboard school ask for Mellen. Shes the head of Snowboarding and a hardbooter who may point you into the best runs.

If you like steep and deep head for Putnam Creek. Its on the backside of the mountain and has lots of chutes and winch groomed steeps. Unfortunately, its colder by a significant amount but because of that it does not get the jibbers, park monkeys, new skiers/boarders etc etc etc. You get the serious skiers and boarders back there because of the snow.

Hope that helps.

http://www.skisilverstar.com/images/trailmaps/silverstartrailmap09.pdf

greg

At SILVERSTAR:

I usually stay at the Lord Aberdeen. Could be cheaper places but it is sooooo convenient. Hot tub, bbq, decent size ski lockers, parking beside the hotel and Longjohns(pub) downstairs. The Ahi tuna burger is AWESOME!!

For groomers the front side of the Mountain. Look for a fella by the name of Gustav riding Coilers in the morning. He can usually be found on Far Out, Sundance, Whiskey Jack or Over the Hill. At the snowboard school ask for Mellen. Shes the head of Snowboarding and a hardbooter who may point you into the best runs.

If you like steep and deep head for Putnam Creek. Its on the backside of the mountain and has lots of chutes and winch groomed steeps. Unfortunately, its colder by a significant amount but because of that it does not get the jibbers, park monkeys, new skiers/boarders etc etc etc. You get the serious skiers and boarders back there because of the snow.

Hope that helps.

http://www.skisilverstar.com/images/trailmaps/silverstartrailmap09.pdf

greg

Hey Thanks Greg ! I have ridden silverstar before 3 years ago and remember putnam creek. My brother (a skier) took me down a moguled chute while I was on my tanker 200. It was kinda funny trying to make it out of there ....

I plan to carve so will bring my Coiler.

Jim

My brother (a skier) took me down a moguled chute while I was on my tanker 200. It was kinda funny trying to make it out of there ....

I got into the chutes on a 176 AMF Prior. I survived but it was better suited to a MUCHHHHH shorter board. We had to do jump turns and would drop about 8-10 feet on each turn.

This just came in on the Silverstar/Big White newsletter;

Silver Star Lift & Lodging From $89

You can ski-in, ski-out from the village with your lift ticket and room at Silver

Star's Bulldog Hotel for just $89 pp, starting January 3, 2011.

The Bulldog usually has a decent winter ale from Vancouver.

greg