Note to New Members ×

Edge Tuning!

OBie

Hello all! I just got my first carving board and I'm ready to tune it. What angles/degrees should I use? For my regular freestyle boards I always used 0, I'm not sure if alpine boards can use varying degrees like skiers use. Any info provided is appreciated!

Since you are in Worcester, I'd take the board to Summit Ski Shop in Framingham and let Mike de Santis put a tune on it. He is one of the best tuners in the country.

Generally, for alpine boards you are looking at a 0.75 to 1 degree on the base side of the edge, and 2 to 3 degrees of the side of the edge. You want an acute angle such as that for the best performance while carving.

Once the board is stone ground, and the base edge angle is set, don't touch the base side of the edge other that very lightly with a fine diamond stone to remove any burrs that may form. All sharping should be done from the side of the edge, preferably with a file guide set at the correct (2 or 3 degree) angle.

Here in Europe lots of alpine boarders use the stuff from Tooltonic. You can find many instructions on this site and others:

http://www.tooltonic.com/conseils.asp

and I use this stuff also (nicely working and cheap):

http://www.alpineskituning.com/index.htm

Buy stuff from Ray as quick as you can. Ray isn't that young anymore but still happy selling, highly recommended :biggthump

an interesting feature developped by tooltonic is the twin angle sharpening.

They do it with their special rotation tool, but it can be achieved with normal diamond files..you first sharpen with 200 diamond then with the 400and800 with a 1° difference: it makes sharpening and resharpening faster with less material loss. ( very quick with the roto systems ( alas expensive)..

I have tested it for the last two seasons with great success, and it seems quite a few world cup teams ( ski) use this idea.

( http://www.tooltonic.com/twinRotoConcept.asp )

Nils

+1 for SkiMD (Mike de Santis) - one of the world's best, right near you!

www.skimd.com

+1!

I took my Donek to Mike at the beginning of this season and the only compliant is that I waited until now. With the edges beveled correctly and the newly stone ground base, it's much easier to ride.

I will take all my new boards to him in the future.