Note to New Members ×

Deeluxe GTI Softboots

Bora20

I know that they aren't hardboots, but they are the stiffest softboots that I have ever seen and they are for sale at www.hardbooter.com for $95 right now. I could not say no since my current soft freeride boots leave something to be desired.

Hardboot lists these as GTS boots, but the box says GTI. Who knows?? I am not sure of the year either, but they are NOS and that is good enough for me.

The box

Looks like a box and lists a multitude of sizes. The only one that mattered to me is the 26.0 as I wear a street shoe of 9 normally. As you can see, the price was right.

1102907008_t559U-L.jpg

1102908603_pMBtF-L.jpg

1102907816_WCWtb-L.jpg

Outer boot

Pretty standard looking until you get closer. The boots has a tried and true lace system with a nice velcro booster strap. The tongue has a underlace system so that it doesn't mess with toe straps if you use them. I have toe cap bindings currently so it isn't an issue for me. We will get to the little red round bars in a second.

1102916955_iAcdf-L.jpg

1102917654_7jmrg-L.jpg

1102918392_CRyQy-L.jpg

1102919133_CKSbm-L.jpg

Outer boot underlace system

It is quite intricate and took me a few minutes to sort out s one lace was longer than the other. Following the black lace against a black background as it went a different direction was a bit tricky, but it works and they tie up tight. The outer boot also has a water gaiter up the top of the foot to keep out wet snow. This is a nice touch and different from most soft boots.

1102919133_CKSbm-L.jpg

1102915498_tvBWt-L.jpg

1102914786_XKC48-L.jpg

Liner

The liner is really nice and uses a speedlace system. Pull to tighten, move the holder down. Move the holder up, pull tongue to loosen. it also has these nice finger holes in it for pulling the boots on. No crappy sewn on straps that rip out on the first day. These are meant to work forever. They also list the size on them for easy reference.

1102906024_eSj5A-L.jpg

1102922120_bxaRS-L.jpg

1102921434_PXucE-L.jpg

Footbed

These may be ok to ride in, but since my feet are actually 26.5/26.3 I need a little extra space in the toe area. I will be putting in SOLE Thin Sport footbeds for now as they fit my feet really nice and take up less volume overall. This helped in my hardboots too.

1102920793_RVw2L-L.jpg

1102920024_NLLzk-L.jpg

What makes these so special and why do you care?

It is all about these little red rods (or the blue ones in the box). These are the stiffening rods and there are 2 per boot. I am not sure which are stiffer, the red or the blue, but the red came in the boots and I will try them first.

They simply slide in place and should be left in for carving. The paperwork with the boots says they can be removed for powder use, but the boots stay stiff without them anyway. I doubt anyone would ever take them out, I certainly won't be.

1102912384_RczWB-L.jpg

1102916243_P67Hi-L.jpg

I am really pushing hard in these pictures. Roughly the same pressure in each of the 4 shots.

1102911590_A7PQ5-L.jpg

1102910728_Tsgqb-L.jpg

1102909327_6DHZr-L.jpg

1102910028_avCxB-L.jpg

That is all I have for now. I won't be able to ride them for another couple of days. It is currently -25C here, but should go to -2C on Sat with fresh snow :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bora how do you like these softies? I just bought a pair from hardbooter.com I'm going to use these with my swoard dual 163 with burton c60 bindings I have the driver x boots currently and was looking for a second pair of softboots to go with my fort mcmurray small hill board then I came across this thread and the price was to good to pass up so I pulled the trigger. I wonder if these will be better for softboot carving then the driverx. I have deeluxe 325 hardboots and love those for my ATV 161.

I haven't had a chance to try them yet, I have been trying to get the hard boots dialed in.

I have also ordered a set if GNU Mutant bindings. Similar to the Flows, but easier to get.

and...my daughter was born on Satuday, so it might be a few more weeks before I get up to the hill.